« Master & Servent. | Main | A Reflection on Service Learning »

Running Late(ly)?

As I was running, I realized I had to post my blog. I apologize for those waiting... Just as the weather is becoming nice, the semester is coming to an end. Everyone is busy finalizing their coursework, finishing group projects and heading one step in the direction of their career. In the end, with our degree and experiences in the classroom, we are almost promised that we will be successful. We envision living a great life and want things to go just as planned. A comparison can be made between a student at the U and the Tempest. Caliban is like the U. He promises Stephano (student attending the U) that if Prospero is killed successfully, he will allow Stephano to be ruler of the island (degree holding student), and Caliban will be his servant (the perfect job). He also promises that Stephano will get Miranda if the murder is carried out successful (a signing bonus). This sounds great. We graduate from the U, earn our degree, find the perfect job, and get a signing bonus on top of it all!! Or in Shakespeare's time, take out Prospero, be ruler and have Miranda in the end. Life will be glorious. Not so fast. Life gives us curveballs. Sometimes things just don't go as planned. You may earn that degree, but are there jobs out there waiting for you to fill them up? Will Stephano actually become ruler, or is this part of Caliban's plan? We will see the what happens to us, and Stephano, while we continue to live our lives and read Shakespeare.

I never really thought of these characters in depth before like it appears you did. Sure I feel bad for Caliban and I guess the idea of Stephano becoming the King of the island sounded like a wonderful and promising idea, but these characters are just meant for comic relief. They are meant to distract you from the main action and make you laugh. I really don't think they are meant to be taken seriously but I did enjoy your analogy. It really is too bad that life does not turn out that way and considering it was quite the fantasy play anything could have happened. It's hard to relate such a fantasitical play to our lives today but you tried and I'm impressed with the effort.

I think this is an interesting real-world analogy, yet I don’t agree for several reasons. Since when is the perfect job promised to us? I don’t know about anyone else but I am scared to death to leave college, and I have been counting on dodging those curveballs since before I even got here. The industry I will be thrown into once I graduate is highly competitive and cut-throat, and most of the entry-level positions pay very little. This is to be expected for a lot of industries, not just mine. I’ve always known that I need to work hard to find my place, so Stephano should probably assume that things will not go as smoothly as he would like them to. Especially because this is a Shakespearean play, I that there are going to be some bumps in the road. Just as we should come to expect this of Shakespeare, we should come to expect this in our lives once we leave this bubble known as college.

That is certainly an interesting way of putting Shakespeare in the context of our lives. I do agree that the year is coming to the end. As we read the last scene of the last play this semester we see that other things also come to an end. Prospero decides that it is time for him to end his grudge with Antonio and try to mend their fense. In addition, he decides to release Alonso and his companions from their spell. Prospero's final act is to release his diligent servant Ariel for his power. In the end it was nice to finally read a play that didn't end with a large bloodbath.

Hello! Good Site! Thanks you! trslgyjufdoxou