VPN (Virtual Private Network) use at the University of Minnesota

| | Comments (1)

When connecting from a wireless or non-UofM network (this also includes the use of "UofM", "UofM Guest" and "UofM Wirelss" that appears when selecting a wireless option on the UofM campus) to University of Minnesota network resources requires use of a Virtual Private Network (VPN). A VPN provides a secure connection to remote networks by creating a protected, individual "tunnel" between your computer and that remote network.

Even using email can involve some risk. Without the security of VPN, the information you type or send could be intercepted on the "open highway" of the internet. VPN software for you personal computer is free and can be downloaded from the OIT website.

Use VPN if both these conditions apply:

• Connection: You are using a wireless connection on campus or connecting to the University from a non-University of Minnesota Internet Service Provider (ISP), such as through AOL or MSN or with a cable modem or DSL.

• Data: You will, or might, transmit sensitive data such as passwords, credit card information, social security numbers or any confidential information by any means while connected to the Internet; you need access to restricted University resources
Step-by-step instructions for installation and configuration of the VPN software provided for free for your use on personal computers.

Hey, thanks for the short explanation of a vpn. I think the informations are not complete, but it is enough for me now.