March 2011 Archives
The University of Minnesota Virtual Private Network (VPN) is the centrally managed Office of Information Technology (OIT) service that allows a computer to connect to the University network without using an Ethernet connection. A VPN connection appears as though you are inside the University network and allows access to its internal resources.
OIT recommends using VPN service in the following situations:
- When connecting to the University network from a non-University of Minnesota Internet Service Provider (ISP)
- When using a wireless connection to connect to the University network
- While transmitting sensitive data while connected to the Internet
- While accessing restricted University resources
Here are the steps:
- Navigate in your favorite browser the UofM OIT VPN software download page.
- Choose the "AnyConnect" option appropriate for your computer operating system.
- Click the download link under "Download Client".
- Double-click on the resulting file to install on your computer.
- Launch the VPN software.
- Configure your software using the configuration guides provided:
Submit a ticket
8am-4:30pm Mon-Fri or by appointment