Recently in Initiatives Category

Why Atomic Learning For Online Technology Training?

| | Comments (0)

Although we would all like personalized technology training to meet all of the needs that arise when working with software for our jobs, and preferably instantly upon request and for free, this isn't very realistic.

It seems that when presented with the choice of continuing each day to do work with software that one is not overly familiar with, being frustrated that it doesn't "work the way it should" or "work the way I want it to", or having to settle for online training on software, the latter choice would be the better one with regard to productivity.

GPS Alliance IT has chosen Atomic Learning instead of Lynda for two main reasons:

• Atomic Learning is a Minnesota company
  • Cost - Information gleaned during research on online technology training from a page I have linked to below indicates that by moving to Atomic Learning, this customer would be able to offer training to 1950 more users compared with the cost of offering Lynda training for just a few licenses.

Article - A lower-cost alternative to Lynda.com

Google FAQ

| | Comments (1)

Frequently Asked Questions for Google in OIP

Can I have use a local email client (Thunderbird, OS X Mail, Outlook, etc.) for access to GMail?
Technologically it is possible. However, OIT and GPS IT recommend against it. Here is OIT's policy:
1-HELP is unable to provide assistance with configuring Cell Phones or desktop email clients, as the only officially supported means for accessing Gmail is via the Gmail web client.

If you must access your University of Minnesota Gmail account via a Cell phone or Email client, you will have to configure the device yourself using the Gmail IMAP configuration information provided in these two URLs:

http://www.oit.umn.edu/email/setup-guides/index.htm
http://www.oit.umn.edu/email/general-configuration/index.htm

Make sure you use the correct Username and Google desktop/mobile password (NOT your Internet ID and Internet PW) as is described in the first URL.

Why is OIT not supporting email clients (Thunderbird, OS X Mail, Outlook, etc.)
There are numerous reasons for this.
-Understanding the full tool set GMail offers by using it exclusively means there will be no question what is possible whether you access your email at work, at home, in a coffee shop, and internet cafe, etc.
-Data security is always an issue with email. Using the web client strictly will ensure that all emails and attachments are located only in one place with regard to your account - in the UMN GMail server space. This means data is not on a local computer or device that can be stolen and/or compromised. REMEMBER - nothing is ever actually removed from a computer hard drive, even when 'deleted'.
-Requesting changes to GMail because it does not deliver a feature one is used to in a local client, or one that is much simpler, will make the web client richer for everyone who uses it.

This includes access via phones and other mobile devices.

How can I configure my iPhone/iPod Touch to use Google web view to my UMN GMail account?
-In Safari on your iPhone, type "google.umn.edu" into the URL bar.
-Authenticate using your UMN x.500 credentials.
-Safari will display a Google account page designed specifically for mobile devices, but that will resemble closely what you see on your computer through your web browser.
-Click the "+" sign at the bottom of the iPhone/iPod Touch screen.
-Choose "Add a Bookmark" to add a bookmark to this page OR choose "Add to Home Screen" to add an icon to your set of applications.

Migration:
GMail
Will the local mail I have currently in my mail client (OS X Mail, Thunderbird, Outlook,etc.) disappear once I migrate if I don't move them to IMAP?
No, they will stay exactly as they are. They will be able to be moved to GMail IMAP after the migration or continue to be stored in your email client as an archive.

How will I move my local mail to GMail IMAP after the migration?

Please see this article on managing the transition of folders to labels.

Will the sub-folders I use in my IMAP currently be transferred to GMail during the migration?
Yes, but not in exactly the same folder format. GMail does not currently support sub-labels (I hear Google is working on that...), so any sub-folders will come in with the parent folder name prepended and separated with a forward slash (/).

Will departmental email accounts be migrated?
Yes. All departmental accounts will be scanned and, when issues attended to by the manager of the departmental account, be set to be eligible for the manager to opt-in for that account to GMail. This requires the same process as was used to migrate a personal account, but using the account name and password of the departmental account instead.

Currently, GMail does not support multiple email accounts via the same login, but departmental accounts will be able to be accessed via a different web browser. A departmental account user would open their personal UMN Gmail account in Firefox by logging into http://google.umn.edu, and then launch a second browser - Google Chrome, for instance - and authenticate in the same manner as with their personal UMN Gmail account - by logging into http://google.umn.edu, BUT using the credentials of the departmental account instead of their own.

It has been surmised that Google is developing the ability for multiple accounts in the same domain to be managed in the same web browser at the same time.

Can I still use the "Forward voicemail to email" voicemail preference?
Yes, your voicemails will still be forwarded, now to your GMail inbox. However, we don't have a current solution for playing those audio files directly in your browser. So when clicked on, the file will open in your default audio player application. (This has not yet been tested in all browsers so you experience may differ).

Are there limits of how many emails can be sent?
Yes. 500 messages at a time and 2000 per day. Your account will be locked for 24 hours if those limitations are exceeded.

September 27th is the date!

Schedule:
September 1-26: Unit orientations by Christopher, custom training given by UTTC staff
September 27th-October 1: Migration of email and contacts (using the Contacts Migrator Script?). UMCal calendar prep for migration
October 4-October 11: Migration of UMCal data to Google Calendar (using the UMCal Migration Script?)

Web access only
We will be using the web client as a default setup. While configuration of a local mail client is possible, I feel strongly about avoiding it. I will have discussions with individuals about specific business needs that require a local client.

Reasons:
1. Using just the web client simplifies the email experience - at the office, at home, or in a library or internet cafe somewhere in the world. Whether on a computer that is familiar or not, the ways of doing things will be the same no matter the location.
Here is a quote from a message board about using a local email client:

I just hope that my live "mail" client is not deleting more then one email in my online gmail account when I try to delete email in there. Because I do use the mail client, but then when I go into google online sometimes I'm lost because it all looks so different due to conversations and sometimes emails missing for some reason either from the mail client or from google.com, I haven't been able to figure it out completely

2. Having a local program to access your emails requires more support. It adds to the complexity of the email process that isn't really needed in most instances because of the rich web experience provided by Google.

Preparing For The Migration
Please view this web page that gives clearly defined instructions on how to prepare your email for conversion to Gmail.

Technical Support Requests

| | Comments (0)

We are very excited to offer to OIP an online system for IT support requests! We look forward to this system helping us partner with OIP staff in resolving technical issues as quickly as we can, while keeping everyone involved as informed as possible.

To submit a request, visit the Support Ticket web site.

The system allows for the following:

• Web-based submission of support requests, as well as ability for the submitter to follow progress and actions taken on each request.
  • Automated emails that keep the submitter informed as to progress, status changes, etc.
  • Ability for technology staff to assign tickets via FileMaker, web interface, or special iPhone interface.
  • Use of the UofM's Central Authentication Hub, utilizing staff x.500 for access.

REQUIRED USE: Use of this system will be required to report technology issues that need attention. We want to be consistent in our approach to all requests, make sure that the proper person is getting notified of the status of a request, and have the ability to keep quality statistics on the support we provide. These needs require that each person submits requests in this manner.

• If a staff member calls with a non-emergency request, they will be asked to submit a ticket
  • If the issue being reported requires a call or email due to lack of access to internet or the system, the staff member will be asked to submit a ticket once the issue has been resolved and they can once again access the system.

EMERGENCIES: Of course there will be requests that need immediate attention. Please do call when you need immediate assistance. Even when this happens, we will ask a staff member to submit a request in the system so appropriate communication, issue tracking, and statistical analysis can take place.

Support Tickets
Submit a ticket

Support Hours
8am-4:30pm Mon-Fri or by appointment

Urgent during
support hours?
Call 4-2049

Urgent outside
support hours?
Call 1-HELP
(612-301-4357)