Recently in Systems - GPS Alliance Category

September 27th is the date!

Schedule:
September 1-26: Unit orientations by Christopher, custom training given by UTTC staff
September 27th-October 1: Migration of email and contacts (using the Contacts Migrator Script?). UMCal calendar prep for migration
October 4-October 11: Migration of UMCal data to Google Calendar (using the UMCal Migration Script?)

Web access only
We will be using the web client as a default setup. While configuration of a local mail client is possible, I feel strongly about avoiding it. I will have discussions with individuals about specific business needs that require a local client.

Reasons:
1. Using just the web client simplifies the email experience - at the office, at home, or in a library or internet cafe somewhere in the world. Whether on a computer that is familiar or not, the ways of doing things will be the same no matter the location.
Here is a quote from a message board about using a local email client:

I just hope that my live "mail" client is not deleting more then one email in my online gmail account when I try to delete email in there. Because I do use the mail client, but then when I go into google online sometimes I'm lost because it all looks so different due to conversations and sometimes emails missing for some reason either from the mail client or from google.com, I haven't been able to figure it out completely

2. Having a local program to access your emails requires more support. It adds to the complexity of the email process that isn't really needed in most instances because of the rich web experience provided by Google.

Preparing For The Migration
Please view this web page that gives clearly defined instructions on how to prepare your email for conversion to Gmail.

Access must be granted for you to open a database hosted on the database server. Submit a ticket to request access.

Once access has been granted, follow these steps to open a database:

1. Launch FileMaker
  2. Choose "Open Remote" from the 'File' menu
  3. Choose the 'OIP Database Server' option
  4. Enter your OIP credentials to see what databases you have access to
  5. Choose one of the databases listed
  6. Enter your OIP credentials to access the database.
  7. Click 'OK'
  8. Repeat the above steps to open other databases as desired.

Once you have logged in the first time, you will see databases you have accessed in the list found at File>Open Recent. This process has fewer steps and so will be the best way to access databases after the first login.

Server Power Outage Information - 1/13/2010

| | Comments (0)

At around 1:50 today, we had a power outage in the server room. This affected all main servers. The problem was noticed and all servers were returned to full service at 2:15. We are currently working with an electrician from Facilities Management to investigate the cause of the outage. We are providing power to the servers with a work-around power solution, which will function for an extended period of time, if needed.

We are expecting to get back to our primary power solution as soon as possible with as little server downtime as we can manage (downtime will most likely be measured in minutes). If this has to happen during office hours, we will notify everyone before switching from our work-around solution to our primary solution.

Technical Support Requests

| | Comments (0)

We are very excited to offer to OIP an online system for IT support requests! We look forward to this system helping us partner with OIP staff in resolving technical issues as quickly as we can, while keeping everyone involved as informed as possible.

To submit a request, visit the Support Ticket web site.

The system allows for the following:

• Web-based submission of support requests, as well as ability for the submitter to follow progress and actions taken on each request.
  • Automated emails that keep the submitter informed as to progress, status changes, etc.
  • Ability for technology staff to assign tickets via FileMaker, web interface, or special iPhone interface.
  • Use of the UofM's Central Authentication Hub, utilizing staff x.500 for access.

REQUIRED USE: Use of this system will be required to report technology issues that need attention. We want to be consistent in our approach to all requests, make sure that the proper person is getting notified of the status of a request, and have the ability to keep quality statistics on the support we provide. These needs require that each person submits requests in this manner.

• If a staff member calls with a non-emergency request, they will be asked to submit a ticket
  • If the issue being reported requires a call or email due to lack of access to internet or the system, the staff member will be asked to submit a ticket once the issue has been resolved and they can once again access the system.

EMERGENCIES: Of course there will be requests that need immediate attention. Please do call when you need immediate assistance. Even when this happens, we will ask a staff member to submit a request in the system so appropriate communication, issue tracking, and statistical analysis can take place.

Illness Emergency Contingency Planning

| | Comments (0)

The following are steps to be prepared for any type of illness emergency at the University when experiencing extended absence by a moderate to large number of staff.

Set Up Your Voicemail

Enable your web account for Gopher Messaging. This allows you to check your voicemail through any web browser, send voicemail to your email account, forward your work number to another number, and set up a "0" out option to the front desk (known as a personal assistant) for callers who need immediate assistance. Refer to this article about Gopher Messaging. If you manage the mainline for your office, please be sure that the message there is also updated to match the standard OIP policy.

Prepare a Personal Contingency Plan

While planning is being done at the unit and Dean's Office level, it is important for each staff member to resolve and document how they will work from home. Each unit should record the personal contingency plans for each staff member.

Prepare for Working Remotely

Review this checklist for working remotely.

• Change my voicemail to say I'm out and not checking messages/the office is closed
  • Update my email to say I am out/the office is closed
  • Check my email/voicemail from home at least twice a day OR I will provide details to my back up to cover my work while I'm out
  • Know how to access my Gopher Messaging account via phone and web
  • Install UofM Virtual Private Network on my home computer and will use it whenever I do University business
  • Know how to access my unit's phone tree.

Support Tickets
Submit a ticket

Support Hours
8am-4:30pm Mon-Fri or by appointment

Urgent during
support hours?
Call 4-2049

Urgent outside
support hours?
Call 1-HELP
(612-301-4357)