UMCal is scheduled to be decommissioned Friday, Sept. 30. Effective Oct. 1, UMCal no longer will be available, and Google Calendar will become the University's official calendar.
Users who have migrated to Google already and only use UMCal in order to collaborate with other UMCal users, may disregard the migration
Users will not have access to log into UMCal after Sept. 30, and are encouraged to transition to Google Apps for the University of Minnesota before the Sept. 30 decommission date. Sign up is available on the University's Google Apps website. Once users have converted their account to Google, it becomes their official University calendar and email application. Please note that Academic Health Center (AHC) and other Health Care Component (HCC)-related accounts still will NOT be eligible for Google email accounts at this time, and those users will receive additional information soon about transitioning to Google Calendar.
Users who have transitioned to a University Google account and have items in UMCal that they want to place in their new Google calendar, will need to manually export their calendar data file, known as an "ics" file, and import it into Google.
To move information from UMCal to Google Calendar:
- Using the UMCal desktop client, select File then select Export Data.
- Choose iCalendar file as the export file format.
- Click Continue
- Choose a date range of items to be transferred from UMCal to Google Calendar. Save the file to your desktop. (OIT recommends All).
- Open the new Google Calendar in a web browser and select Calendar Settings
- Select the Calendars tab, and then click Import Calendar.
- Click Browse to locate the exported calendar file created, and select the Google calendar (work, personal, etc) into which the UMCal items should be imported..
- Click Import. View the new Google Calendar to verify the entries were created
Some limitations of which users should be aware:
- Recurring meetings will export and import but will not be associated with each other, and will appear its own meeting. Users may need to manually add recurring meetings.
- Attendees and resources will not be imported with meetings. Users will need to re-invite attendees and resources.
- Reminder notifications will be sent based on what users set as the default in Google calendar.
Those who do not use the UMCal desktop application, or need assistance your calendar information, should contact OIT Technology Help at (612) 301-4357 (1-HELP on campus).
Those who choose to not migrate their accounts to Google Apps for the University of Minnesota, still will not have access to UMCal or the University's official calendaring system, Google Calendar after Friday, Sept. 30.