To support the University of Minnesota’s February 20 rollout of Turnitin, a plagiarism prevention and grading software suite, the Office of Information Technology (OIT) has arranged brown bag sessions and webinars for faculty and staff who are interested in learning more about the tool.
Turnitin Basics for Training and Support Professionals
This 2-hour, hands-on course provides an overview of the basic functionality of Turnitin, a plagiarism prevention and grading software suite, available to University of Minnesota faculty and staff beginning in March 2012. Topics include:
- Set-up an assignment.
- Explore submission types and methods.
- Utilize the assignment inbox.
- Read and interpret a report in OriginalityCheck
- Use QuickMarks, comments, highlighting to leave feedback in GradeMark
- Create, save, share and organize your own QuickMarks
- Create, save, share and utilize rubrics for grading and evaluating
- Leave general paper comments
- Explore options for printing, saving and viewing papers
- Setup a PeerMark assignment, including distribution options and discussion questions
- Explore the student view and tools available for reviewing
- Read and score Peer Reviews
Session 1: Monday, Feb 27, 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM, Walter Library 210
Session 2: Tuesday, Feb 28, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM, Walter Library 210
Turnitin Brown Bag
This one-hour brown bag seminar provides an overview of the basic functionality of Turnitin. Topics include:
- Setting up an assignment
- Viewing and interpreting originality reports
- Editing and grading student papers online
- Using the peer review assignment tool
Session 1: Monday, February 27, noon - 1:00 p.m., Walter Library 101
Session 2: Tuesday, February 28, 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m., STSS 512A
Turnitin Webinar: Pushing Past Plagiarism
In this one-hour webinar, Renee Bangerter, a composition instructor for 15 years who currently teaches at Saddleback College, will discuss
- students’ issues with source integration
- intentional versus unintentional plagiarism
- best practices on using Turnitin for reflection assignments, revision assignments, improving writing skills, and encouraging original work
Session 1: Tuesday, February 21, 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
enroll to attend public session (by Turnitin Academy)
Session 2: Thursday, March 8, 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
enroll in private session (U of MN audience only)
For updated information, visit the Turnitin Training page.