Recently in My Lesson Plans Category

Lesson plan with no lab

Learning how to Dance!

DIGITAL ART LESSON WITH NO LAB: "Let's learn to dance"

Grade 8
Two Days

FOCUS:  Students will learn stop motion techniques using a camera and their own bodies. 

OBJECTIVES:
1. 6.3.1.1.3 Develop an artistic intent, including how audience and occasion impact performance choices.
2.6.2.1.2.1 Create original works of media art in a variety of artistic contexts.
3. My Own: Develop knowledge on stop motion animation

MOTIVATIONAL RESOURCES
Pez.com - stop motion videos
My Digital Methods blog - has many youtube videos for resources
Stopanimation.com - about stop motion animation.

ART MATERIALS:
Camera
Big Sheets of Paper
Coloring Utensils
One computer - with photoshop and iMovie
Flashdrive
YouTube videos of stopmotion animation

INTRODUCTION
an·i·ma·tion (n): The act, process or result of imparting life, interest, spirit, motion, or activity. Stop motion is a technique used to physically manipulate objects to make them appear as thought they are move on their own. It is used as a frame by frame process where the object(s) are moved in small movements and each frame is photographed. Playing the frames as a whole sequence, the frame by frame creates an illusion of continuous motion. There are many types of Stop Motion Animation.

Different types of Stop Motion:

Object animation involves moving animation of any non-drawn objects such as toys, blocks, dolls, etc. and are not as malleable as clay or wax. Object Animation is not meant to look like any type of 'character' being animal or human.

Direct manipulation animation is a simplified graphic animation where the artist adds or subtracts to a drawing documenting the frame by frame image. Clay animation where each animated piece is a character made out of a malleable substance of clay, usually Plasticine clay.

Cel animation is the original animation which is traditionally draws each frame by hand.

Puppet animation the form of performance in which the artist manipulates puppets.

Time-lapse is a cinematography technique where the frame is captured at a slower rate than play back. When replayed at normal speed time appears much faster and thus lapsing. ie: watching a fast pace flower bud bloom.

Variations of Stop Motion Include:

Stereoscopic: is a technique capable of recording three-dimensional visual information or creating the illusion of depth in an image. Basically when you have to wear the 3D glasses to watch something. The first all stop motion 3-D feature is Coraline(2009)

Go Motion: Creates a realistic motion blur between each frame, so it is not as choppy. The main difference is that stop motion is made up of still images where as go motion take the frames while the object is in motion.

Go motion was used in ET, and is rarely used today.

Computer-generated imagery: 3D computer graphics, special effects, can be seen in movies, television, commercials, video games, etc. Pretty much has made stop motion obsolete, however stop motion is still used because of it's unique look. Example: Robot Chicken

INSTRUCTIONAL PROCEDURE:
DAY ONE:
    Today in class students will learn about stop motion techniques.  I will show videos from my digital methods blog that display stop motion.  Then I will explain how to create a stop motion video.  To explain stop motion I will also have a small demonstration to show how to create this animation.  Having already set up a small corner of the room with a camera on a tripod and tapped square on the floor, I will have a pair of shoes that each person will move slightly.  Next I will quickly upload the pictures, having about 20 frames, into photoshop to show students how to create a quick animation from frames in photoshop
    Next we will talk about what style of dance we want to portray.  We will vote on several styles to narrow it down to one.  Then I will have them break into groups to brainstorm poses they can use.  Each student needs to have 5 poses that I will have them story board.  Also we will talk about background.
DAY TWO:
    Today we will make the background using coloring utensils.  Next we will start with the stop motion.  My plan is to try to get all of the students into the shot, if I can't do that I will have half of the class in the shot.  I will set up my camera on a tripod and take pictures.  Then I will have a student upload them onto the computer and make and place them in iMovie and add music.  We will vote on music in the class. 

EVALUATION ASSESSMENT:
This will be a small handout that I give to the class

What is your favorite thing about stop motion? What is your least favorite?

If you could make a stop motion video yourself what would you make, and what style would you use? Clay, paper, etc..

Did you like how our animation turned out?

BIBLIOGRAPHY:

Same as other lesson plan, please see other lesson plan. 

Lesson plan with a full Mac Lab

DIGITAL ART LESSON WITH LAB: DANCE!

Grade 8
Four to Five days in length

FOCUS: Using Photoshop and IMovie students will learn how to create a stop motion animation.  

OBJECTIVES:
3. My Own: Develop knowledge in programs such as photoshop and iMovie.  

MOTIVATIONAL RESOURCES
Pez.com - stop motion videos

ART MATERIALS
Mac computers with photoshop and imovie
Camera
Flash Drive
Youtube videos of stop motion

INTRODUCTION

Different types of Stop Motion:

Variations of Stop Motion Include:

INSTRUCTIONAL PROCEDURE
Day One:
Today in class students will learn about stop motion techniques.  I will show videos from my digital methods blog that display stop motion.  Then I will explain how to create a stop motion video.  To explain stop motion I will also have a small demonstration to show how to create this animation.  Having already set up a small corner of the room with a camera on a tripod and tapped square on the floor, I will have a pair of shoes that each person will move slightly.  Next I will quickly upload the pictures, having about 20 frames, into photoshop to show students how to create a quick animation from frames in photoshop.   
Next I will pass out the assignment and assign groups.  Each group will create a dance to music. They must choose a style, examples: hip hop, rock, lyrical, country, etc.  Each of the groups will need to then storyboard what they plan on dancing, this way when they start taking pictures they will be able to direct how the scene will develop. They will also need to decide what type of background they would like and where they would what this dance to be.  During this time students might also need to research their style of dance and find movements, or pictures to suite their dance.  
Day Two:
    First I will demonstrate animation on Photoshop again for the students, and have a handout with the steps written out.  Also, I will show the students some ways that they can change their animations if they want to add color or transformations. Next, students will begin by setting up their stop motion and taking pictures.  Once students have completed the picture taking they will need to upload it onto their computers.  Once they have done that they can begin to change the colors and distort the frames to how they want it to appear.
Day Three:
    This will be another work day for the students to get their animation ready in photoshop, however before they start I will demonstrate iMovie.  I will show how to rearrange, repeat, back up, and change their animation into any ways they would like.  I will also show them how to add music to their pieces.  This way when students are done in photoshop they can move on to iMovie when they are ready.  
Day Four:
    Today will be a work day, and if I have time I would like to show students how to use garage band, I will see how fast or slow paced the class is.  
Day Five:
Presentation Day.  I will also have a class discussion and critique about all of their animations.  We will discuss what works well and what doesn't in pieces, maybe what things they wished they could have accomplished more, what things would they take out of their pieces, and so on.  

EVALUATION ASSESSMENT

This will be a small handout that they will fill out that will help them asses their own learning.

Is their anything you would change about your video?

What sort of things did some of your classmates do that you really liked?

Did you learn a lot about the different applications on the computers, Photoshop, IMovie, Garageband?

Overall do you like your video?

BIBLIOGRAPHY

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/olso4021/arted/2009/10/animation-stop-animation.html

Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer Gumby Wallace and Gromit Western Spaghetti Her Modern Elegance, Oren Lavie Tim Burton

This page is an archive of recent entries in the My Lesson Plans category.

DIGITAL WORKSHOP is the previous category.

Project 1 > Digital Collage is the next category.