Technopoly

Technology has a huge affect on us as humans and the way we live our lives. Things that used to be difficult have now become very easy and things we never thought possible are becoming possible. Transportation was once thought of as a burden but now is just leisure time. People can fly from one place to another, drive there, or ride a bike. The car is simply amazing because of how far it has come. They used to be strickly business but now are a way to get away for society and take a joy ride. We also race cars and destroy cars for fun.

Continue reading "Technopoly" »

Technopoly

Articles Comp

These two artciles have one thing in common, both authors want to be constantly inventing new things with the ideas they create. They both think that every idea should be given a chance. Kahn is more stirct when it comes to this. He has a larger knowledge and knows more of the complex terms. They both come up with great ideas even though one knows more than the other. It is not important who knows more but who applies themself more. One can have all the knowledge in the world bt it means nothing if they don't use it. Gershenfeld talks about a class he took. This makes me think he is younger meaning Kahn is wiser becuase being wise comes with experiences.

Continue reading "Articles Comp" »

Building Sizes & Mathematics

8-Buxton-store%20(2)[1].jpg
Small town store.
MallUpdate[1].jpg
Strip mall.
1-5509-Mall-of-America[1].jpg
Mall of America.

small%20house[1].jpg
Small house.
17720_1[1].jpg
Apartment complex.

tec[1].gif
Small office building.
171672727_0333c398c1_m[1].jpg
Large office builidng.

Continue reading "Building Sizes & Mathematics" »

Gas Prices

I know I speak for everyone was I say that rising gas prices are a huge opposition. All of its possible solutions involve us changing our lifestyles to fit it. More people have begun to ride the bus everywhere possible because it is much cheaper than driving to all the places you need to go. People have also started to ride bikes around town because not only do they not have to buy gas, they are getting exercise and being environmentally friendly. When places are really close, people are now walking to these places so they don't burn gas starting and turning off their cars. These are all the solutions that me and almost everyone else has for the rise in gas prices because as much as we all would like, we can't just go out and get paid more money at our job to accommodate the rise in gas prices. It’s not like we can go to the big corporate oil chains and say "your prices are way too high, you need to lower them" because they won't listen to us. They know that gas has almost become a necessity and people will pay whatever the price to get some.

Continue reading "Gas Prices" »

Hurricane Katrina: A Natural Phenomenon

Hurricane Katrina is the single largest natural phenomenon of the 21st century. It destroyed the entire southeastern region of the United States. The entire was devastated by the hurricane as they either live in the region, previously lived in the region or had friends or family from the region. The hurricane can be described in many ways. It is a powerful swirl of wind that starts from the equator. They are extremely dangerous storm as there is no way to stop them. During a hurricane it rains and often times causes flooding. A hurricanes “lifetime? is from when the swirl begins in the south to when it hits land and eventually dies down. As previously mentioned, a hurricane is made up of heavy swirling winds and lots of water. This describes how a hurricane could possibly be a phenomenon because it can be described in things, has clockworks and has frameworks.

Continue reading "Hurricane Katrina: A Natural Phenomenon" »

Iwo Jima

A couple of summers ago, my family and I made a trip to Washington, D.C.. While in D.C., we saw the Iwo Jima Memorial. This really interested me because it was a memorial for soldiers who faught in the war. That is why it is a meaningful place. The genius loci can be described in two ways; as a guardian angel and as the atmosphere of the place. I see Iwo Jima as having both. I wouldn't say it has just one guardian angel, but a large group of angels. They would be all the soldiers that helped raise the flag at Iwo Jima and the man that was brave enough to take the picture of them doing so. I would say the atmosphere aspect of the genius loci is sad because it brings back the memories of the war and all the men that died fighting for America. Along the note, the atmosphere could be viewed as victorious because we won the war and the flag was raised. It's not so easy to always see the genius loci of a place but it is always there looking to be discovered.

Continue reading "Iwo Jima" »

Metrodome

When thinking of a social design issue, one comes to mind, the Metrodome. The problem with the Metrodome is it is used by three teams; The Twins, Vikings and Gophers. They have to switch the field everytime one team plays. This takes a lot of time and work. Also, when the seasons overlap, they have scheduling conflicts. This results in games getting postponed. Just this year they passed a bill for the Gophers and Twins to get new stadiums. The Vikings would keep playing in the Metrodome. This would give all three teams a sense of individuality. The Twins and Gophers would move outdoors on grass for a better playing environment. The scheduling conflicts would be eliminated and changing the fields would no longer be needed.

Continue reading "Metrodome" »

La Energía

Energy is a simple word that has many different types and definitions. The definitions that I am concerned with are energy as electricity and as a vibe. Upon arriving at the Midtown Market, I could feel the energy all around me. The whole place was lit up. I noticed energy as I saw all the lights that lit the place up like the sun. People where talking all around me and that made me realize that they, too, where using energy. They were creating and transfering it in the sense that they were sending sounds waves between each other as their vocal cords vibrated. I saw the use of energy by the people as they were making the food and by the appliances they used to help make it. I realized that they were playing some music in the background and it helped set the energy of the room by making it feel like a market in Mexico. The walls of the market helped to hold all of the energy in. As you can see, energy is all around you when you are at the Midtown Market. It is there powering the appliance and lighting the room. It is also there when people talk with one another.