Final Project: Icons

My Journaling.png

My Journaling3.jpg

My Jornaling 2.jpg

Icons 1-6
ONeill_Icons_GD1.pdf
Icons 7-8
GoodPrinting_2.pdf
Back side of all the icon cards
GoodPrinting_2_back.pdf

FIN! =)

Speedy Project Final Product.

} my mood board {

Mood Board Pic.png

looking back...

This reminded me of futurism in the sense that it uses blocky shapes and so many colors. Simple shapes.

Old Style.png

the two...

international posters.

Iran 1.png

Iran 2.png

Iran 3.png

Iran 4.png

There posters seem to be heavy on typography which leads me to believe that they do have a mind towards design and the combining of text and image. However, it seems that type might actually be docrative, but that might just be because I don't know what it says... I really like a lot of these!

reading response: contemporary graphic design of iran

This article really made me think. As I was reading the article I kept hearing things like they dont make things to get information across, but rather to express their feeling ans ambitions. So, I had to wonder what graphic design really is and what a graphic designer is defined as. Because if we can call ourselves graphic designers simply for making pretty things on the computer without any clear purpose or direction than what are we? What are we actually designing if there are no parameters. That is the reason I wanted to be a designer, because there are rules and a clear vision for what information and message we were trying to get across, not because I can do whatever I "feel".

So I found this definition: Graphic design is the process and art of combining text and graphics and communicating an effective message in the design of logos, graphics, brochures, newsletters, posters, signs, and any other type of visual communication. Today's graphic designers often use desktop publishing software and techniques to achieve their goals.

Maybe, my view is scewed, but I would consider someone who is simply designeing poster of their emotions and ambitions to be an artist with a different medium.

Anyways, I am interested to see what kinds of posters Iranians produce... We shall see...

visual research: posters!

I really liked seeing this poster because in the discussion it showed how it was composed using three different photographs... and not being a photographer and not having access or the skills to do a photoshoot for each poster/brochure/anything that I design... it is cool to see the resources that people use... however it reminds me of how expensive this major can be =)

What is Graphic Design Poster

I included the link to see the 3 photos used:
Discussion Page

reading response: the charity begins at work problem

I was not sure what to expect when reading this article. I was very surprised to find that there are so many people who are willing to give there work for free. In this economy it seems as if (or at least maybe to me) that we go to school to get a job to support ourselves. However, I was struck by a few things in this article.

I can really relate to the fact that doing work about something you are passionate about or believe in there is greater satisfaction and appreciation for the piece. I can totally relate to this because it feels like all I am doing right now is charity work, I have been able to design a few things for Newman Catholic Campus Ministry, posters for different events, brochures etc. and those are the work that I am most proud of. And I am most proud of them because I feel that my design is being used for something better and bigger than myself. So I can see where the author is coming from when he says that charity work is often the most fulfilling, but I believe that you can do both. You can give of your time and resources for good but you can also make money to support yourself/your family at the same time. I see it as volunteering in any other sense, you take the time that you have available and you give it for the good of others whether it be building a house or designing a poster, this proves that they can both have a big impact on peoples lives, for the good (hopefully)

This is another thing that caught my attention was the New York artist James Victore. Most of the posters that I saw of his were very negative and focusing on what is wrong. These are the kinds of posters that worry me. Because design can have such an affect on the people who are viewing them, I wonder about the negative affect that these "charity" posters can often have. His all seem to be geared toward anger, I believe not causing people to thoughtfully consider, but to simple jump to conclusions. In our society in America where so many good things have been distorted to the point where we can't see the good unless we try REALLY hard, his style of posters, I think are not making a positive impact.

This was kind of jumbled. ha!

visual research: coexist...

I really like the simplicity of this piece. I love the white space and I like the use of something that seems to be universal, a barcode. However, the rainbow does lead one to think of gay pride. I have also scene a lot of posters that use black and white and that narrows the field as well, because essentially this poster is reaching people of all races, not just black and white. I would like to find a solution for that.

Picture 30.png

This is a photo that I am considering using, this photo was taken in DeathValley. They are said to be on the "DeathValley Racetrack" they are not positive how these rocks move. However, I think that it could say something really powerful. It would be a comment on the fact that these rocks can make progress without even trying, just think what we are capable of as intelligent human beings? I don't know... I really like the thought, I don't exactly know how I would execute it.

DeathValley Racetrack