« Neoconism Defined | Main | Time Magazine Blog Of The Year, 2004 »

Is It Civil War Yet?

Believe the Bush mouthpiece, aka Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Peter Pace, the answer is an emphatic "no". There's still progress even if we can't put a "smiley face" on the situation. However, other experts paint a less sanguine picture:

Expert on Iraq: 'We're In a Civil War' U.S. Officials Deny Violence Has Risen to That Level, but ABC News Analysts See a 'Serious Lack of Realism' By JAKE TAPPER

BAGHDAD, March 5, 2006 — - As Pentagon generals offered optimistic assessments that the sectarian violence in Iraq had dissipated this weekend, other military experts told ABC News that Sunni and Shiite groups in Iraq already are engaged in a civil war, and that the Iraqi government and U.S. military had better accept that fact and adapt accordingly.

"We're in a civil war now; it's just that not everybody's joined in," said retired Army Maj. Gen. William L. Nash, a former military commander in Bosnia-Herzegovina. "The failure to understand that the civil war is already taking place, just not necessarily at the maximum level, means that our counter measures are inadequate and therefore dangerous to our long-term interest.

"It's our failure to understand reality that has caused us to be late throughout this experience of the last three years in Iraq," added Nash, who is an ABC News consultant.

Anthony Cordesman, the Arleigh A. Burke chair in strategy at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, told ABC News, "If you talk to U.S. intelligence officers and military people privately, they'd say we've been involved in low level civil war with very slowly increasing intensity since the transfer of power in June 2004."

Since the elections last year, Cordesman says, more radical Islamist insurgents have made "a more dedicated strike at the fault lines between Shiites and Sunnis." And they have succeeded.

As Jack Murtha said in response to Peter Pace on "Face The Nation", they lied about almost everything else in Eye-Rack, why should we believe them here?

Thanks for publishing this. I am fairly a new comers to social media and this blog traffic is slowly increasing. I am fairly confident it's resulting from me spending a great deal of time commenting on other blogs. Not only did it get my blog to choose from, but more importantly, I can keep up with what bloggers and readers are preaching about! I also spend quite a lot of time on Facebook along with Twitter...But I want to reach out to other bloggers around my same arena.