« Asking Too Much Of Our Country | Main | "Birth Pangs" Expecting Twins »

"They Do The Jobs Americans Won't"

I'm not the type of immigration hawk who want to cart all illegal immigrants out of the country in cattle cars, but still, let's cut the bullshit about immigration reform. Americans are willing to work for a decent wage; allowing foreigners to flood the labor force does not help indigenous Americans get those wages. Companies that continue to get away with paying poverty wages by hiring those who can be intimidated with deportation should be punished swiftly.

Loss for one is another's gain

Applicants line up to fill jobs left empty by Swift plant raid

By Fernando Quintero, Rocky Mountain News

GREELEY - The line of applicants hoping to fill jobs vacated by undocumented workers taken away by immigration agents at the Swift & Co. meat-processing plant earlier this week was out the door Thursday.

Among them was Derrick Stegall, who carefully filled out paperwork he hoped would get him an interview and eventually land him a job as a slaughterer. Two of his friends had been taken away by Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents and he felt compelled to fill their rubber boots.

"Luckily, they had no wives or family they left behind. But it was still sad. They left their apartments filled with all their stuff. I took two dogs one of them had. The other guy had a cat I gave to my sister," he said.

Greg Bonifacio heard about the job openings on television and brought his passport, his Colorado driver's license, his Social Security card and even a color photograph of himself as a young Naval officer to prove his military service.

"I don't want to hassle with any identification problems because of my last name," said Bonifacio, a 59- year-old Thornton resident of Filipino heritage.

As it turned out, the Colorado Workforce office that was taking applications did not require any identification.

That would come later for those who made it past the interview process.

Bonifacio was hoping to get a job in production or fabrication. So was Nathan Korgan, a former construction worker whose company closed and moved to California.

"I feel bad for the kids, but good for me," said Korgan of Tuesday's raid.