« McCain Was For 20,000 More Troops Before He Was Against It. | Main | "My Name Is Joe Klein, And I'm A Dumbass" »

"Try Doing That With A Little More Attitude. . ."

Comedian Jordan Carlos calls out the lily-white mavens who runs the entertainment industry on their knee-jerk aversion to casting black actors and hiring black writers:

Entering the comedy world as a black man means you always stand out, even during off hours, such as one Christmas evening in New York at my first holiday comedy mixer. All of Gotham's comedic glitterati were there. I cornered a "Daily Show" writer, doing my best to get the inside track on a possible actor/writer gig. We broached the subject of black correspondents. He told me that they "tried a black guy once, but it didn't work out." I nearly threw my imported beer in his face. Tried it once and it didn't work? You say that about Toyotas, not a whole race of people. But to date, comedy writing is pretty whitewashed. As of this season, "Saturday Night Live" has no black writers. "The Daily Show" also doesn't have any, and neither does "The Colbert Report," a show on which I've played Stephen Colbert's black friend "Alan," a member of the staff. That's right. "The Colbert Report" had to hire an actor to play a black person who works on the show.

Indeed. They talk a good game about increasing the diversity of their programming, but they just don't want to put the work in. I've heard of prospective black magazine writers being turned away with suggestions that they try interviewing for Ebony or Black Enterprise. Sure, when people hear this, they might say "that isn't right" but will soon forget about it and assume diversity is a job for other people.