« Thank You, David Ehrenstein | Main | Sahel In Somalia »

It's Hard Being A Millionare

Oh cry me a fucking river:

Being a millionaire just isn't the same these days

NEW YORK (AP) -- Renee Weese has reached an enviable goal -- she's become a millionaire. But like many others whose net worth has risen in recent years to seven figures, she doesn't feel particularly wealthy.

Not that long ago, the word "millionaire" conjured up visions of chauffeured limousines and extravagant shopping trips and elegant yachts. These days, a millionaire is more likely to be the guy or gal next door who saved carefully -- and perhaps benefited from the sharp run-up in housing prices -- but still worries about covering the exploding costs of children's educations, caring for aging parents and funding their own retirements.

Weese, 51, of Atlanta, Georgia, credits her good financial fortune to good-paying jobs and windfalls when her startup insurance company went public and, later, when it was taken over by a bigger insurer. Still, Weese worries about how far the money will go.

As she puts it: "I know I have more money than a lot of people do. But I don't feel I can sit back on my heels. I have lots of years ahead of me, and elderly parents I help financially a bit, and kids and grandkids."

Hell, if it's THAT tough, I'm willing to trade my negative wealth for your "problems."

Christ, when will we stop with this plutolatry?