« Building A Stratified Society | Main | Democratic Congress More Popular Than Bush »

Jigaboos vs. Wannabes

Atrios has the right idea in putting up the extended version of the exchange that has put Don Imus in the doghouse:

IMUS: So, I watched the basketball game last night between -- a little bit of Rutgers and Tennessee, the women's final.

ROSENBERG: Yeah, Tennessee won last night -- seventh championship for [Tennessee coach] Pat Summitt, I-Man. They beat Rutgers by 13 points.

IMUS: That's some rough girls from Rutgers. Man, they got tattoos and --

McGUIRK: Some hard-core hos.

IMUS: That's some nappy-headed hos there. I'm gonna tell you that now, man, that's some -- woo. And the girls from Tennessee, they all look cute, you know, so, like -- kinda like -- I don't know.

McGUIRK: A Spike Lee thing.

IMUS: Yeah.

McGUIRK: The Jigaboos vs. the Wannabes -- that movie that he had.

IMUS: Yeah, it was a tough --

McCORD: Do The Right Thing.

McGUIRK: Yeah, yeah, yeah.

IMUS: I don't know if I'd have wanted to beat Rutgers or not, but they did, right?

ROSENBERG: It was a tough watch. The more I look at Rutgers, they look exactly like the Toronto Raptors.

IMUS: Well, I guess, yeah.

RUFFINO: Only tougher.

McGUIRK: The [Memphis] Grizzlies would be more appropriate.

Yep, while the media is obsessing over the term "nappy headed hos" they are ignoring how racially tinged the whole conversation is. Even to the point that Imus allows a even more invidious (if not as widely known) racial slur to be used on his program.

BTW, I can't exactly put my finger on why Imus and his gang chose to single out the Rutger's team for derogation. Perhaps some of you out there can help me:

team-photo1.jpg

teamphoto_2007.jpg