7-Up Series

This year in my english composition class we watched a documentary called the 7-Up Series. I thought it was a very cool idea to film these kids and document there progress every seven years. I enjoyed wathing ages seven through twenty-one in class. My favorite person from the series would have to be Tony. He was one of those kids that I could relate with when he was only seven years old. He reminded me a lot of myself when I was seven, running around being abnoxious with my friends. I was allowed by my parents to be a kid. Some of the rich kids in the documentary were being deprived of their childhood by all the pressures that their parents put on them. This series was very interesting, and I look forward to watching the rest of it some day.

Homosexuality

Today in my english composition class we talked about homosexuality. This is a very touchy subject that can easily offend people. I mean on one side you have a group of people that say homosexuals should not be viewed any different than heterosexuals. This group says that just because the life style is a little different they should not be denied equal rights and benifits that a traditional couple recieve. Then on the other side you have a group saying that homosexuality is wrong. They believe that it is morally wrong. Also they look down on homosexuals because of their inability to reproduce. I would have to say that I fall into the second group. I don't believe it is a good idea for a gay couple to raise a child. It is not fair to the kid. They will be missing the ever important mother/father figure in their life. Also when that child grows older they will be put into unfair and difficult situations with their peers.

James Baldwin

Today in class we discussed a piece by James Baldwin. The topic was on racism, and how it is still around today. I believe that racism is still out there, but I feel it is not as serious as many people today think it is. It wasn't to long ago everything was segregated and "blacks" and whites" did not co-exist. Now days we are ever so close to making every person equal no matter what race, or gender for that matter, the person is. There always will be those groups of people out there that won't view different races as equals. These are the groups that give society a bad name. I grew up in a small town where we had no minorities in our school. Now that I attend the University of Minnesota the diversity is huge. Just because these minorities have different colored skin then I do does not mean they are any less qualified. In fact I am sure that a lot of them are more qualified.

Epitaph

This week in a meeting with our teacher we were supposed to come up with a phrase that we would put on our tombstone. I thought about it for awhile and decided that i would put, "In whatever you do shoot for the monn that way if you miss you land among the stars." I like this saying a lot and I try to live by it everyday. What this saying means to me is that no matter what you do try give it your all. Because if you give it your all but you still don't quite succeed you will still look back at the end of the day and feel good about yourself. If you do something with only half effort later on you may look back and think back and wish you would have given more effort. I think its important to set high personal goals. If you try your hardest to reach these goals at the end of the day you will be a better person.

Age and Teaching

The other day in my english composition classwe discussed whether age determines how good of a teacher you are. I believe that a good teacher is one that has good experience in the field that they are teaching. Also they need to be able to relate to the students. Although with age comes experience, in this case it is not exactly that easy. You do not get as much experience when you observe something rather then participate. For example, someone will learn a lot more about the game of hockey when when a player/former player is teaching as opposed to someone who has casually watched hockey on weekends. Also the teacher needs to be able to relate to the students. A good example of this is when a teacher rambles on about a topic assuming the student knows the vocab and a little background on the topic. You don't learn much in this situation, but if the teacher breaks it down into terms and concepts you can easily comprehend a lot more of it sticks. These are two big qualities that make up a teacher.

seven up series

Monday in my english composition class we watched another part of the seven up series. This is a very interesting serires. The makers chose several different children, age 7, and did a biography of sort on their life. Then every seven years they go back to the same group of kids and do another edition. On Monday we watched the one where the kids are 14 years old. It was cool to see how their lives had either followed what they had planned years ago, or made turns in different directions. Many of the upper class kids ended up following their plan as far as schooling goes. This I believe is due to the parents forcing their own wishes onto the kids. I am very excited to see what has changed next time when they are all 21.

Trackback

Did it work?

Work

I don't fully understand what I am supposed to be typing right now. All I understood was that i needed to tpe a story about work. So here is a story about work. I never understood what work really was until the summer of my senior year in high school. I had held jobs prior to this, but they did not require work. My job was to great customers and sell merchandise at an up and comming sports store in my small town. During some of my seven hour weekend shifts the oonly people that would enter the store all day were my parents bringing me food, or friends swinging by to chat. During this time I had plenty of time to catch up on both homework and videogames. This past summer I got a jo working construction. I was putting in a minimum of 50 hour weeks for the whole summer. We buried telephone cable, and fiber optic cable in the ditches. You never appreciae 98 degrees ntill you work in it for 12 hours a day. I have never worked so hard and sweat so much, but come friday, pay day, it would all be worth it.

Research Paper

Our current project in my english composition class is an 8-10 page research paper. It can be on any contemporary public topic that we choose. After some thinking I decided to do mine on the use of performance enhancing drugs in major league baseball. I chose this topic because i felt it would keep me interested throughout the whole writting process. I started by finding some sources that would be benificial to my paper. It was difficult finding scholarly work on the topic, unless it was about the effects of anabolic steroids on the user. So I spent a better chunk of my weekend putting this thing together. It is still pretty crude, but its only the first draft. I still need to put together a works cited page and fix all my mistakes. I got the main idea down and can work from there.

Research Paper

We were recently assigned an 8 - 10 page research paper in my english composition class. I decided to do my paper on the use of performance enhancing drugs in major league baseball. I feel that the the use of these substances taints the game. Records are being shattered at an alarming rate. Not because the talent pool is that much greater, but that substances have been developed that improve your performance on the field. I think that players should be subject to random testing for all performance enhancing substances. If a player tests positive for a banned substance he should be dealt with in a very strict manner. Players know that these drugs are illegal, and if the choose to use them anyway harsh consequences should be applied. The use of performance enhancing drugs is cheating the game of baseball and those who performed in the past. Memories of Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron should not be overshadowed by doped up superstar's in the present era. Some believe that the use of steroids in baseball is good for the game, and it makes it more exciting to watch. People are disinterested if home runs are not being blasted out of the ballpark. I believe major league baseball is a place for athletes to showcase their god give talent, and the use of performance enhancing drugs ruins it.

Thank You For Smoking

Monday night my English composition class got together to watch a movie. The movie was titled "Thank You For Somoking." This movie was directed byjason reitman, and released in 2005. It is a story of Nick Naylor who is a lobbyist for big tobacco, and wants to be a role model for his son. He is very good with words and knows how to turn every bad situation look good. Nick's life is going very well until he decides to sleep with a reporter, and she goes on to publish an article that ruins him. Until NIck's son uses all that he had learned from his dad to get Nick back on his feet and fighting for what he believes. I can't tell you how it ends, but I can encourage you to go watch it. "Thank You for Smoking," is a great movie you will enjoy.

Research Paper

This week in my english composition class we were assigned a nine page research paper that we could write on any issue we choose. I gave this a lot of thought over the weekend. If I have to write a nine page paper it needs to be on something that interests me. I thought about going the political path. Maybe doing it on capital punishment, or pro-life, but I wasn't sure if that is what interests me the most. So I finally decided that I would do it on Steroid use in professional sports. This topic was flared up in the past year or two. It was all Major League Baseball could talk about for the majority of the season. For example, Barry Bonds went from being talked about as one of the best homerun hitters of all time, to media attacking him over some accusations of him using steroids. He moved into third place all time on the homerun list, but all they talked about was steroids. I feel this topic is a public issue that is worthy of a nine page report.