Assignment #6

Assignment #6: Idea Evaluation

The purpose of this assignment was to asses the top 10 ideas from assignment # 5 in the areas of marketability, novel and feasibility.

Part 1: Marketability

To get responses in the most timely manner, I brought hard copies of my survey out to the local ski hill near my home town on Saturday. The wonderful thing about Saturdays is you have a variety of skill levels and reasons for skiing with families, racers, instructors, recreational skiers of various ages all in one place at the same time. Within an hour I had 15 people's feedback on the proposed products that had the most potential from the previous week's assignment. The survey simply asked if the person would buy the product and at what price with an image to display the idea. To see the layout of the survey click the link below.

Product survey.docx

I was surprised at some of the results, such as few were interested in the fishing hole light ring, and at what prices people were willing to pay for such products, some up to $700 for a ski suit with heating elements that could be adjusted.

Survey results

IMG_1173.jpg

Product #1: Glow Cup
Yes: 11
No: 4
Av. Price: $10.11

IMG_1178.jpg

Product #2: Ice Fishing Ring Light
Yes:2
No:13
Av. Price: $10

IMG_1228.jpg

Product #3: Magnetic Jacket
Yes:3
No:12
Av. Price:$36.66

IMG_1229.jpg

Product #4: Taco Wrap Ski Bag
Yes:8
No:7
Av. Price:$40.63

Scan 16.jpeg

Product #5:Long-Underwear Ski Suit
Yes:5
No:10
Av. Price:$215

Scan 17.jpeg

Product #6:Heating Element Ski Suit
Yes:11
No:4
Av. Price: $230.00

Scan 22.jpeg

Product #7: Quad-zip Ski Suit
Yes:5
No:9
Av. Price:$208

Scan 9.jpeg

Product #8:Christmas Tree Bagging System
Yes:1
No:13
Av. Price: $26

Scan 27.jpeg

Product #9: Bunny Slippers
Yes:6
No:7
Av. Price: $26.66

Scan 26.jpeg

Product #10: Ski Strap
Yes:8
No:7
Av. Price: $37.85

Top 5 Products
Product #, Name, Vote-Yes, Price

1 Glow Cup 11 $10.11
4 Taco Wrap Ski Bag 8 $40.63
6 Heating Element Ski Suit 11 $230.00
9 Bunny Slippers 6 $26.66
10 Ski Strap 8 $37.85

Part 2: Novel

By using the almighty power of the internet, I researched the state of the art in the market. What kinds of products were out there that were similar to my own top five ideas.

Step One: Benchmark the State of the Art

glowcup.jpg

There were a lot of glow in the dark products that once they were activated a they would continue to produce light. Most of these products were under $5. There was also battery operated LED cups that ranged from $6-$15, but also would continue to produce light unless the batteries were removed. The higher end items were actually coasters that were motion activated and ranged from $30-$50.There were no touch activated cups, glasses or mugs available to purchase. The Market potential is in touch-activated low and high end glow cups.

Taco2x2.jpg

The ski bag market is dominated by soft-sided bags with zippers. I was unable to find any with alternative closing mechanisms. The hard cases had some alternative, but most were over $200 and all of similar design. There are few alternatives that would allow you to keep mittens or gloves on while packing the equipment in it. The market potential lyes within a soft ski bag without a zipper closing mechanism or hard case ski protector with zippers.

heat2x2 copy.jpg

The Market potential is a Alpine ski suit that has adjustable heating elements. Heating elements could only be found in pieces, such as jackets, gloves and socks, not in suits.

Bind2x2 copy.jpg

The bindings on the market follow a very traditional design and usually incorporate color choices that don't include black, white or silver. I found only one example of some type of character incorporated into a children's ski binding. The overall form is very much the same. The market potential is found in the area of creating colorful or black and white character formed bindings.

2x2 copy.jpg

The Market Potential in this case is in creating a low-end cushioned strap for carrying skies.

Step2: Patent Search

1. Patent # RE33285
Kunen

4. Patent # 5758770
Moneta

6. Patent # 7816632
Bourke III

9. Patent # 7201392
King

10. Patent # 5383587
Carpenter
Jan 24 1995

Part 3: Feasibility

The final part of this assignment was to find the manufacturing cost and noting what would be the most difficult about the making the design.

Glow Cup
Materials: Polymide and steal
Material Cost: P:$1/lb S:$0.36/lb
Weight:1 lbs.
Manufactured cost: $0.68
Concerns: Making the cup actually tight up at the slightest touch, similar to touch lamps, while keeping it light and won't electrocute the user as it experiences wear and tear.

Taco Ski Bag
Materials: Leather
Material Cost: $12/lb
Weight: 4 lbs.
Manufactured cost: $96
Concerns: Making the ski bag affordable while at the same time durable using organic materials.

Heated Ski Suit
Materials: Spandex and Copper
Material Cost: S: $4.53/lb C: $3.01/lb
Weight: 4 lbs.
Manufactured cost: $32.20
Concerns: Keeping the heating coils flexible enough so that it doesn't restrict the racer's movement. Also, to have enough coils to keep the skier warm as well as a power source.

Bunny Slipper Bindings
Materials: Polycarbonate and steal
Material cost: P: $2.00/lb S: $0.36/lb
Weight: 3.3 lbs.
Manufactured Cost: $7.44
Concerns: To design the bindings in such a way that would promote the learning of children while maintaining the function and safety of the traditional binding design.

Ski Strap
Materials: Nylon, polycarbonate, and steal
Material Cost: N: $3.00/lb P: $2.00/lb S: $0.36/lb
Weight: 1.25 lbs.
Manufactured Cost: $3.64
Concerns: To create a quality product while keeping costs down. There are many different kinds of straps on the market, so trying to get this one to stand out against all of them.

Hi Jessica,
Including the survey you made was pretty cool, quick and easy visualization, going to a ski hill was an excellent idea as well since most of your top 10 products are ski-related.

The 2x2 matrixes could have been a little bigger (i.e. bigger when you click on em for a close up) just to see some of the images a little better. Also, some price tags would have been nice, because it gives a better understanding of the market potential.

I wish you had talked a little more about the products that had heating elements in them because I'm very intrigued. I wasn't aware of such products. What kind of heating elements are used? What is the power source (some chemicals, electricity, etc.)? How long does it last?

The feasibility part is very nicely formatted and easy to read through. I may have missed some of you previous discussion, but why is it necessary to have organic materials in the Taco Ski Bag? I point this out because the manufacturing cost is very high for a ski-bag. For the heated ski suit I'd be most concerned about the energy use, how and where to store the energy. Quality batteries are quite expensive as well. I'm not discouraging the idea, I'd be very interested in some back of the envelope energy calculations related to it!

There is a small typo in the first sentence of your blog post.

I like that your survey participants are the target audience of your products.

It would be nice to see a visual side-by-side comparison showing your survey results.

I like that your 2x2’s have a large number of products, and you narrate where the market potential is located.

It would be nice if you described the patents you found and their relevance.

I like the concise summary of your feasibility and cost estimations at the end of your blog post.