A Final Thank You - Assitant Coach Tex

Hello Again you Fabulous Parents and Fans.

Well, the season is done, the gear is packed away and Marcus has his first wrestling tournament this Thursday, I understand that many of you went to hockey practice after our game. So the sports cycle continues.

I want to personally thank all of your for your support, words of encouragement, your advice, your thoughts and most importantly THANK YOU for trusting me with your athletes.

Each of them has a SPECIAL memory in my heart and each of them taught me one or more lessons about coaching. I am a better coach because of your fine young men.

I am already looking into planning a better year next year and hope for the return of your athlete to Orono Youth Football. I hope they can look at the season with the some of the following thoughts.

I learned more about football.

I learmed more about coaches.

I learned more about my classmates.

I learned more about myself.

There will be a parent evaluation soon, so please take time to fill it out with your thoughts and opinions so we can continue to improve the Orono Youth Program and its Coaching Staff.

Thank you as well for the generous Gift Card, my wife will now enjoy "Her time" as we dine together. I could not be the coach I am without her support and love.

Thank you again and please keep me updated on your young men, as Marcus and I would love to learn of their other successes outside of football.

"Start, Stay and Finish Strong" - Coach Tex

Staying Positive IV - Coach Tex

Hello all you Wonderful Fans and Parents.

Tomorrow is it, the end of our season, the end of all the work our fine
athletes have done, an end to an experience of growth, pains, frustrations,
joys, victories and defeats. All valuable lessons in life.

It has been a honor and privilege to be an Assistant Coach to your
wonderful
young men.

I am planning on a game of hard work paying off, working together as
coaches and players for the best possible outcome, many personal and team
victories and lots of smiles and an attitude of fun.

Personally, I will do my best job tomorrow at being more encouraging and
positive with our athletes.

I feel tomorrow is their graduation from Orono 5th Grade Football, their
final test, their last game to prove to themselves and to others what they
can do. But I am also concerned about how they will be preparing for their
test.

How many will be nervous for tomorrow? How many will not? What will they be
thinking before the game?

As a wrestling coach of 18 years and through countless lessons of sports
psychology I am concerned that some of our athletes may come with a "Fear
of
Failure".

As a coach, I have heard comments in the past such as:

"I hope I don't mess up", " I hope that my mistakes won't lose the game", "
I hope that my team and coaches don't get mad at me" "I hope my parents
aren't disappointed"

All of these feelings are natural and expected, but we can't let them dwell
in the minds of our athletes.

As you look back at the last two games, it seems that our athletes were
afraid to make mistakes, so instead of committing to tackling or blocking,
they minimize their efforts in order to reduce mistakes, but as adults we
know that it makes it actually worse.

When we don't do anything, it is usually worse than when we do something in
error.

I am hoping that together we can all share the same messages before the
game. And I will reinforce these messages during our warm up, practice and
the game. So here are some of my suggestions if you choose to use them.

"If we focus on the positives of each and every play, the negatives of your
actions will slowly fade away"

"Mistakes will happen with players and coaches, we just need to learn from
them, correct them and then MINIMIZE them."

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch
excellence." - Vince Lombardi

"Tomorrow is a game that has the potential to be the best game you have
ever played"

"The harder you work as an individual, the greater success the team will
have".

"As long as you do your best, no one can ask anymore of you".

"Expect victory and you make victory." - Preston Bradley

I believe in our athletes, I trust their actions, and I know that tomorrow
can be a day full of Personal Victories and TEAM SUCCESS for athletes and
coaches as long as we all STAY POSITIVE.

Let us be loud and proud of our athletes on the sidelines and let's cheer
them on to VICTORY.

Thanks for all your support during the season and thank you for allowing me
to coach your wonderful young men.

Coach Tex

Keeping Positive III

Hello Super Fans and Parents of Orono Team One,

Thank you to those that have turned in the "White Envelopes" I am hoping for more tomorrow. Also before tomorrow, could you share these personal thoughts to your athlete from Coach Tex.

To the wonderful players of Team One - 5th Grade Orono Football.

Well, last night was an example of GIANTS in our lives. Life can be full of Giants or Challenges in the classroom, in school, in life and last night on the football field.

But what did you learn from last night? How will you deal with the next Giant on Saturday morning?

No doubt many of you may be sore from last night, but this is an example of how facing challenges is never easy. Physically, be sure to stretch tonight and mentally, be sure to focus on what went right and how to improve those things that were not so right. Such things as our blocking assignments, our level of readiness, being able to watch the ball and our ability to tackle.

In my opinion, the other team was faster, stronger, bigger and more physical than us, despite all that we were able to work together and score a touchdown and have our own personal victories. At times during the game we came together as a team, but at other times, we let Minnetonka take away our team unity by the way they played against us.

We are less than 24 hours away from our next game and need to put our past behind us and to come to our next game with POSITIVE Attitudes and full of the possibility of GREAT THINGS yet to be.

By tomorrow, we need to rise above defeat on the field, put pain and discomfort aside and come together as a new team, with new goals and new energy.

We didin't win on the scoreboard but I saw the game as a collection of small victories that are not measured in wins or losses.

I saw one or more of our athletes flatten their opponent more than two times in a row.

I saw one or more of our athletes refuse to stop running the ball until their were no more options.

I saw one or more of our athletes get stopped but gave an extra effort to gain more yards.

I saw one or more of our athletes get flattened, but still got up and later was part of the tackle in the same play.

I saw one or more of our athletes race from the opposite end of the field to help stop a play.

I saw one or more of our athletes fall down in pain and get up and continue to play the game.

I saw our athletes at times come together to gain yards on offense.

I saw ALL of our athletes at one time or another make an extra personal effort to make a block that was needed or fight off a block to stop Minnetonka the best that they could.

I saw our team score a touch down.

As a team we did not win, but as a individuals we were all victorious.

Now we need to take those small victories and mesh them together.
We need to be more consistent in our play, always driving forward, always fighting hard and always doing our best.

To be successful we need to have continuous personal victories and not just random victories like we had last night.

We need to take our strengths and never stop trying, we must refuse to let any team affect our attitude, our effort or our Spirits.

We must come to the next game ready to do our best and we must carry on with a new energy to play better, work harder, and never give up or in.

"Victory is sweetest when you've known defeat."

"Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent."

Believe we can get better, believe that we can be victorious, believe that if we truly work together the more successful we can be, believe that your teammates will do their best, believe in your coaches to make the correct decisions and believe in your yourself to be the best you can be against Wayzata tomorrow.

I challenge you to find a motivational quote about life and/or sports, write it on a piece of paper and bring it to Coach Ostvig when you arrive to the game. If we all do this, we should have 19 quotes.

Have a great evening tonight, do something fun, go to bed early, get up early, eat a Champion style breakfast and see you tomorrow ready to write a new chapter in our book of Team One - Orono 5th Grade Football 2010.

I am planning on seeing a great game, lots of personal victories and a team that is ready to work together, and ready to block, tackle and never give in or give up.

"Stay Strong" - Coach Tex

Keeping Positive II

Hello Super Fans of Orono Team One,

First of all, thank you so much for your support and concern for Marcus and his injury. He is still sore and ice and rest seem to be doing the trick. I told him he needs to drink more milk so he is not so "boney" but has some padding on him. But for now all is well, he is not ready for Thursday, but will be in attendance. He is unable to sit for long periods but we are also hoping to get him back to school asap.

I heard that last game was rough and challenging, but at the same time, it is over and now we need to focus on what is yet to be. ALL Attitudes need to be POSITIVE and full of the possibility of GREAT THINGS yet to be.

For tomorrow's game I ask the following.

One - Have a conversation with your athlete as to what they want to accomplish in the game. I will ask for one goal on offense and one goal on defense. I will be asking them the same when they arrive to the field.

Two- Talk with your athlete about how they feel about our next game and share with them the value of being as positive as possible. Here are some quotes that can assist you.

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it. ~Mary Engelbreit

The power of the mind is your power. Use it. Don't let it use you. ~Terri Guillemets

Mind is everything. Muscle - pieces of rubber. All that I am, I am because of my mind. ~Paavo Nurmi

Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude. ~Ralph Marston

"Sooner or later, those who win are those who think they can." ---Richard Bach

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work." --Vince Lombardi

"When all is said and done, it's not the shots that won the championship that you remember, but the friendships you made along the way."
---Unknown

Three - After the game, help them and guide them to find as many positves about the game and their performance. I prefer to focus less on the score and more in the effort,
less on the penalties and more on the improvements, and less about what didn't go right and more about what did. We as coaches will work on improvement of skills and technique but we need you to be their "Biggest Fans" on and off the field.

Finally, if you choose and if you have the chance between now and tomorrow, write a short note to your atlhelte and tell them how proud you are of them and how much you believe in them and their ability to do GREAT things. Giving a note to them can make a world of difference.

So, thank you as always for your support and please contact me directly or any other coaches with your thoughts, questions, or concerns.

I truly want your athletes season to be full of postive life lessons, postive learning experiences and of course as much fun as a football player can have.

Coach Tex - 3-F Model for Positve Athletic Youth Development

FUNDUMENTALS - I will teach and instruct your athlete in the basic knowledge and skills needed in the sport of football.
FITNESS - I will strive to improve the physical condition of your athlete as well as improve their mental fortitude and self confidence.
FUN - I willl share the thinking that having fun in what you do can add to team unity, team trust and team success.

Coaching Quotes

There's a lot of things you can't control in sports...two things however
> you
> can...attitude and effort. If they give everything they've got with a
> great
>attitude it'll be a great time.
>
>
>
>John Quinlivan

My talk with my team will be reassuring them that they have practiced hard and
are ready to play. They need to play hard every play and work as a team and do
not worry about making mistakes-keep playing hard! We need to play great
defense and everyone needs to attack the ball carrier-gang tackle. On offense,
it all starts with great blocking. The average football play lasts only 4
seconds and you need to be the player who wins those 4 second battles. The
score will take care of itself if we, as a team, work hard and work together,
we will be fine.

Our philosophy: These are themes I hope you hear kids repeat at home.

o The score does not matter-we will focus on playing hard and executing.

o Defense wins games

o It all starts with blocking-blockers are the stars

o Play every play to the whistle

Things to remember for positive Athletic Development

Hello Super Fans of Orono Team One,

First of all, thank you so much for your support and attendance at the game on Saturday. The game was challenging, but I KNOW we can do better.

My main contributions to the coaching staff are ones where I focus on the mental and emotional fortitude of each athlete. I strive to work with each one on their confidence, mental preparation as well as mental performance in games and practices.

I can not do this work alone and since you are "sharing" your athlete with us until October 16th we need to be partners in this.

Many of you shared with me what life lessons you hope your ahtlete will learn and I apprecitate them very much. This has already helped greatly.

Well, our first game is done and now it is time to improve, get better and work better as a team. I have told the players that they need to believe in one another, trust one another, support one another and in return they will succeed together.

In my 18 years of coaching youth, I can personnally say, the team that comes together, succeeds together. Unfortunately, I can't truly describe "when it happens" it is just one of those magical things.

In an effort to produce the best possible team we can, I am requesting the following from each parent/guardian of our outstanding athletes. And ALL of our athletes are outstanding, the more we tell them this the more they will become this.

Please remember the following for all Games and Practices:

One - Have a conversation with your athlete as to what they want to accomplish in the game or practice. I am hoping for one or more personal goals from them each game and practice. As I will be asking them the same when they arrive to the field.

Two- Before your athlete leaves your car or steps on the field tell them one positive word, phrase or sentence.

FUNDUMENTALS - We will teach and instruct your athlete in the basic knowledge and skills needed in the sport of football.
FITNESS - We will strive to improve the physical condition of your athlete as well as improve thier mental fortitude and self confidence.
FUN - Having fun in what you do add to team unity, team trust and team success.

Lessons to Learn during the Season Project

Hello All,

I am still living off the HIGH you can't BUY, from our game on Monday Night, Marcus is still talking about it. The TEAM really came together, worked together and succeeded together. I loved being on the field and feeling their energy. It is AWESOME. Anyway, .....Thank you so much for sharing your athlete with us. They ALL have ways to contribute to the team and they ALL have their own talents and skills.

Thanks to all that talked goals with your sons prior to the game, it was great to see the goals actually happen. I told Larry, before the game, "If these goals come true we will have three or four touchdowns". Well looked what happened. 27-0 I belive, a great win for all of us, players, parents, fans, and coaches.

So thank you for your support and "buy in" of goal setting before games and practices.
I will be at practice tonight, so plese send them with one or more goals to work on for practice. I will be there to mark them down and share my postive comments with them.

I just wanted to share with you the life lesson of your fellow parents for thier sons, if you haven't sent one, there is still time if you have a few minutes, thanks to those that have already contributed.

We have some very special lessons from some very special "Moms and Dads".

I hope that "my son" continues to see and learn good sportsmanship. I want "my son"
to be respectful of the coaches and refs, supportive of his teammates, and thankful for the opportunity to compete. I want him strive to play his best and feel confident of his abilities, but never be boastful or belittle another player.

I would "my son" to learn to be a team player, and that his teammates are depending on him, so he should do his best.

1. Never give up
2. Play with all your heart
3. Listen to your coaches
4. You are part of a team

Among learning a new set of skills in football, I'd like "my son" to learn to do his best at what he does and when everyone does their best and plays together as a team, encouraging each other and building each other up, everyone wins and has fun. Each position is critical to the entire team, not just one person's talents. I'm also a very positive person and love when kids learn to build each other up and not criticize.

My wish for "my son" is to learn the importance of playing on a team... everyone has a role in doing their job for the team. If each player does their job well, the team is successful. One player can not win the game alone... the team wins the game. This is the best way to learn about leadership. A leader understands where they want to go, develops a plan on how to get there, recognizes each person's role and values their contributions toward the goal; thus, inspiring the team to give their all.

The #1 lesson that I want "my son" to learn from football is the importance of trying his hardest and doing the best job that he can.

I want "my son" to strive for excellence by doing his personal best, I want him to contribute as much as he can to his team during practices and games, I want him to learn that leadership takes many forms and he needs to discover his, and finally, I want him to learn see as much positive in all the situations he faces, I want him to know that life is not always measured by success and failure, but also by reactions and attitudes.

For "my son"s" life lesson this season I would like him to learn that he will need to prove himself to new coaches and teammates every year. This will translate well into having to prove himself to a new boss or co-worker later in life.

As always, please feel free to contact me or the other coaches with your thoughts, comments, concerns or quesitons as the season progresses.

Have a great day,
Coach Tex

Striving to Improve - Homework for September 20

Hello all,

As coaches we have noticed how different players responded to different commands. We would like to find out how we can best motivate your athlete in practice and in a game situation.

Therefore, I am asking for your assistance.

If you choose to do so, please answer the following questions:

For the most part is your athlete self-motivated to perform tasks? Always, Sometimes, Not really.

Meaning when asked to do something are they self driven to accomplish it or do they need reminding or more encouragement until the task is finished. There is no good or bad answer as all our youth are maturing and developing at various levels.

What are phrases or words motivate your athlete?

An example is my son Marcus is motivated when he is given a challenge. Such as "Marcus, when playing offense, I want you to see how first downs you can get in a game". This logic causes him to think how he can accomplish this and also allows him to envision what this goal might look like on the field.

I don't tell him to score three touchdowns because he can't control that, there are to many variables that he can't control such as his players on the field, the defense formation and his blockers etc...

So what I am asking is please let us know words or phrases that you use to motivate your athlete, and we will try and duplicate them on the field when we play.

Before, our first game please do the following.

Could you please sit down with your athlete for 2-5 minutes and ask them to write down 1-3 goals they will have for the season when playing offense and defense. Have them write them down and bring them with them to the game to be handed in. This is there off field Homework. This is voluntary, so if not all participate I will understand and will not single out those that don't have a sheet.

Such goals could include:

Offense - I will memorize every offense position and each of their specific duties.
Defense - I will not go off-sides and will always focus on the ball being hiked not the quarterbacks commands.

They could put down, I will run faster but that is not specific and difficult to measure, unless it is timed, so guide them to be as specific as possible.

Finally, please share with us any suggestions you have to make our games more productive, positive and purposeful.

We are always looking to improve the youth and our coaching, so once again, any feedback via email or personally it always welcomed and appreciated.
And thanks for all your support.

Welcome to Team 1 - Orono Fall Football 2010

Hello,
We would like to take this time to introduce ourselves as the coaches for your athlete. Larry, Mark and I have over 25 years of coaching high school and youth sports. We are looking forward to a wonderful experience for both you and your athlete.

Our goals include assisting your athlete to reach their potential, creating a strong, supportive and positive community of young men and instructing the sport of football.

We will also strive to follow a 3-F Model.

The team for this fall with consist of the following wonderful Football Players:

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us:
Larry Zilverberg - Head Coach
Mark Christiansen - Head Assistant Coach
Tex Ostvig - Assistant Coach

Also we have a short questionaire that we would like each family to fill out for their athlete. If you have not filled one out contact Tex Ostvig @ ostvigwt@umn.edu