Things to remember for positive Athletic Development

Hello Super Fans of Orono Team One,

First of all, thank you so much for your support and attendance at the game on Saturday. The game was challenging, but I KNOW we can do better.

My main contributions to the coaching staff are ones where I focus on the mental and emotional fortitude of each athlete. I strive to work with each one on their confidence, mental preparation as well as mental performance in games and practices.

I can not do this work alone and since you are "sharing" your athlete with us until October 16th we need to be partners in this.

Many of you shared with me what life lessons you hope your ahtlete will learn and I apprecitate them very much. This has already helped greatly.

Well, our first game is done and now it is time to improve, get better and work better as a team. I have told the players that they need to believe in one another, trust one another, support one another and in return they will succeed together.

In my 18 years of coaching youth, I can personnally say, the team that comes together, succeeds together. Unfortunately, I can't truly describe "when it happens" it is just one of those magical things.

In an effort to produce the best possible team we can, I am requesting the following from each parent/guardian of our outstanding athletes. And ALL of our athletes are outstanding, the more we tell them this the more they will become this.

Please remember the following for all Games and Practices:

One - Have a conversation with your athlete as to what they want to accomplish in the game or practice. I am hoping for one or more personal goals from them each game and practice. As I will be asking them the same when they arrive to the field.

Two- Before your athlete leaves your car or steps on the field tell them one positive word, phrase or sentence.

Three - After the game, help them and guide them to find as many positves about the game and their performance. I prefer to focus less on the score and more in the effort,
less on the penalties and more on the improvements, and less about what didn't go right and more about what did. We as coaches will work on improvement of skills and technique but we need you to be their "Biggest Fans" on and off the field.

So, thank you as always for your support and please contact me directly or any other coaches with your thoughts, questions, or concerns.

I truly want your athletes season to be full of postive life lessons, postive learning experiences and of course as much fun as a football player can have.

Coach Tex - 3-F Model for Positve Athletic Youth Development

FUNDUMENTALS - We will teach and instruct your athlete in the basic knowledge and skills needed in the sport of football.
FITNESS - We will strive to improve the physical condition of your athlete as well as improve thier mental fortitude and self confidence.
FUN - Having fun in what you do add to team unity, team trust and team success.

Striving to Improve - Homework for September 20

Hello all,

As coaches we have noticed how different players responded to different commands. We would like to find out how we can best motivate your athlete in practice and in a game situation.

Therefore, I am asking for your assistance.

If you choose to do so, please answer the following questions:

For the most part is your athlete self-motivated to perform tasks? Always, Sometimes, Not really.

Meaning when asked to do something are they self driven to accomplish it or do they need reminding or more encouragement until the task is finished. There is no good or bad answer as all our youth are maturing and developing at various levels.

What are phrases or words motivate your athlete?

An example is my son Marcus is motivated when he is given a challenge. Such as "Marcus, when playing offense, I want you to see how first downs you can get in a game". This logic causes him to think how he can accomplish this and also allows him to envision what this goal might look like on the field.

I don't tell him to score three touchdowns because he can't control that, there are to many variables that he can't control such as his players on the field, the defense formation and his blockers etc...

So what I am asking is please let us know words or phrases that you use to motivate your athlete, and we will try and duplicate them on the field when we play.

Before, our first game please do the following.

Could you please sit down with your athlete for 2-5 minutes and ask them to write down 1-3 goals they will have for the season when playing offense and defense. Have them write them down and bring them with them to the game to be handed in. This is there off field Homework. This is voluntary, so if not all participate I will understand and will not single out those that don't have a sheet.

Such goals could include:

Offense - I will memorize every offense position and each of their specific duties.
Defense - I will not go off-sides and will always focus on the ball being hiked not the quarterbacks commands.

They could put down, I will run faster but that is not specific and difficult to measure, unless it is timed, so guide them to be as specific as possible.

Finally, please share with us any suggestions you have to make our games more productive, positive and purposeful.

We are always looking to improve the youth and our coaching, so once again, any feedback via email or personally it always welcomed and appreciated.
And thanks for all your support.

Welcome to Team 1 - Orono Fall Football 2010

Hello,
We would like to take this time to introduce ourselves as the coaches for your athlete. Larry, Mark and I have over 25 years of coaching high school and youth sports. We are looking forward to a wonderful experience for both you and your athlete.

Our goals include assisting your athlete to reach their potential, creating a strong, supportive and positive community of young men and instructing the sport of football.

We will also strive to follow a 3-F Model.

The team for this fall with consist of the following wonderful Football Players:

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us:
Larry Zilverberg - Head Coach
Mark Christiansen - Head Assistant Coach
Tex Ostvig - Assistant Coach

Also we have a short questionaire that we would like each family to fill out for their athlete. If you have not filled one out contact Tex Ostvig @ ostvigwt@umn.edu