« The Woman Who Fell From the Sky | Main | Twister: Who's the Protag? »

Trouble for Trumpets

The work that I chose to blog about is called Trouble for Trumpets. It is a picture book intended for young children. The protagonist named Podd goes out on a quest to save his people the Trumpets, from the evil Grumpets. The Trumpets are summer creatures and pretty much stand for everything that is good. The Grumpets are evil snow creatures who's only desire is to collect more land. The Grumpets invade the summer land, and it is up to Podd to save the day. In the end the Trumpets win out over the Grumpets and they have a big party. It is interesting that the author of this book Peter Cross managed to create a intriguing story almost completely without words. The illustrations are what drive this story forward and I think it is very effective.

Trouble for Trumpets has a lot of messages about acceptance, and how important it is to let people be as they are. There are also comments about war, and how violence is never a good option. I think that it is really impressive that Peter Cross managed to include all of this into a story that is told through pictures instead of words.

A fairytale told in pictures? That's an interesting concept. I wonder what wordless retellings would be like. It would be interesting to see a "Cinderella" told in pictures. Since fairtytales seem to follow specific guidelines rather closely, do they work well with little or no narration and dialogue? What was the role of illustrations in the original fairytales?

wonder what wordless retellings would be like. It would be interesting to see a "Cinderella" told in pictures. Since fairtytales seem to follow specific guidelines rather closely, do they work well with little or no narration and dialogue? What was the role of illustrations in the original fairytales? M