« Term Project Presentations ROUND ONE | Main | Term Project Presentations ROUND TWO »

A.C.E.S. Week 4

It has been SO long since I've been to my volunteer program. I usually go every other week, and for three weeks the program was not running. I hadn't seen the kids forever and I wasn't sure if they were going open up to me like they did before. The last time I went to Green Central, I felt the kids were just starting to warm up to me. It was really nice to be back in the A.C.E.S. atmosphere. I stayed with the fourth graders that I usually go with. The last time I was at Green Central for the A.C.E.S. program, the kids had just started a new unit about birds, zooming in more on owls and hawks. Last Wednesday, the kids were working on an art project, which consisted of making owl pellets. I know...sounds gross huh? Haha, it was actually a pretty interesting sight. The week before the kids had made paper machee by blowing up balloons and pasting the paper machee to it. This past week, they decorated their pellets with horse hair (yes...horse hair), paint, cotton balls, and feathers. I’m not going to lie..I was a little grossed out, but it was actually a pretty fun day. These kids had a great time. Clean up was a catastrophe though...which was accepted. =) After we were done making the pellets, I started working with a few kids with flash cards. I'm not going to lie..I had to check the back of a few cards to remind myself of the questions! It's been a while since I did multiplication flash cards! A few kids were extremely engaged with figuring out the answers to the mathematical questions. I felt really good teaching/helping them along with this. I felt like they were actually learning things from me. It is strange to think that I could be making an influence on these kids’ lives.