Blog #1 Psychological Disorders- Have We Really Come All That Far?

When being assigned to read this chapter, I was confused at first. Shouldn't we start at the beginning of the book, and move on from there? But then I realized that psychologists appreciate well-rounded individuals, and I think that learning this way is a good way to just be submerged in the entire subject of psychology. Anyway, going over this chapter was very interesting to me. I really enjoy learning the history of psychological disorders, and the improvements to treat them that we have made over the years. It really struck me in the first few pages, when we read about how tortured people were in the past for having any kind of psychological disorders. Many were thought to be witches, others were considered to have "too much blood" in their system, so their blood was drained, many times killing the individual. Even though society has made a lot of progress since these dark times, one underlying factor remains the same to be something we still struggle with today: people who are different from "the norm" have yet to be completely treated as equals. High schools have cliques, society has classes, and everyone is constantly being divided. Many people don't realize what kind of struggles people can go through through simple classifications of society. It is really important that we continue to evolve from these awful stereotypes and divisions in society.

Unknown.jpg

I enjoyed reading your post, I thought you had a very thoughtful opinion on the topic. And I also agree with what you have to say. Over the course of time, our treatment of those who appear different from us has improved, but we still have a ways to go. I think we can all agree that may people have a slight discomfort being around someone that we know to have a psychological disorder. I also really do not appreciate the fact that we use the term "retarded" as a term to make fun if others, even if they are not mentally retarded. Our society still has a way to go.

Those are some very good points made in your entry. I would have to agree with you for the most part, because people are discriminated and treated differently every single day, and it definitely is not right. I know people who make fun of and wont go near disabled people, and it is just sad. I will never understand some people's views on life, especially when they are like that. But part of it is informing and dealing with those people. One thing I don't fully agree with is that our medical part of discerning diseases is light years ahead of back in the days you were talking about. Also, I feel like people have a little better perspective, although you are right there needs to be a change. Very interesting blog!

You bring up a great point, discrimination in today's society could be considered one of the biggest problems that people face everyday. Although sometimes it is not consciously done by the individual because, in high school especially, there are people who you would not like to associate yourself with and therefore unconsciously are a little prejudice towards them.

you're right that those with disabilities--both physical and mental--have a harder time becoming accepted as valid in society, but how many people who don't have disabilities are? you brought up cliques in high school, and that right there leads me to think that no matter who someone is, some people will always be more valid than other people in a person's eyes. is that wrong? maybe it is, maybe it isn't. either way, i don't think this kind of mentality is going anywhere anytime soon.

We have a state and society that have been shaped around a norm, and an ideal citizen. Until the state chooses to recognize and give full citizenship to everyone outside of the white, heteronormative, fully abled approach, equality is impossible.