Blog # 2: Adrenaline

I found the section about adrenaline fascinating. Something exciting happens outside of our body and our body reacts. First, the sympathetic nervous system ramps up and the parasympathetic system shuts down. Then, the sympathetic nervous system activates the adrenal glands and the fight or flight response is under way. These glands send armies of hormones into the bloodstream. One of these hormones, adrenaline, causes a terrific transformation in the body functions. Energy production in muscles skyrockets as fats are broken into fatty acids and glycogen into glucose. The heart muscle contracts, blood vessels constrict, and the bronchioles open up, all which help pump more oxygenated blood to the larger muscles in the body. In addition, the pupils open up and any sense of appetite disappears. This is amazing because our bodies are ready to run or fight for our lives.
I experienced this reaction when someone scares me. Blood seems to rush to my heart and I can feel it pounding away. Everything instantly comes into focus and all weariness is gone. My entire body becomes alert and I could easily run a mile if I had to.
One thing that I am curious about is the way that increased sympathetic nervous system activation affects a person. Does this mean the same as being stressed out all of the time? Could it contribute to high blood pressure and other problems? Is there a disease that causes people to have no adrenaline?
To see image:

This is an amazing concept- the body is ready to help you handle extraordinary situations at a moment of need. Adrenaline almost seems like an alter-ego, giving you the necessary attributes to handle a task at hand. It is amazing, demonstrating the complex relationship between mind and body, and also how the sympathetic nervous system seems to take over where the conscious mind would otherwise be overwhelmed by the stress of the "fight or flight" situations.

I agree, this is an amazing concept. I think you have an interesting point in mentioning that it's part of the autonomic- sympathetic nervous system which is really amazing because we have no control over what type of situations release the adrenaline and no control over choosing to ignore the adrenaline rush because our body is automatically reacting to it without our conscious opinion. I also think it's a really strong point to ask if there is a disease that causes people not to have adrenaline because, as it is a hormone, it is completely reasonable for someone's body to not react to their adrenaline or even to not produce it at all. Interesting thoughts!

Adrenaline is fascinating to learn about as well as experience. It is amazing that a surge of energy can push us past our known limits. The rage of our sympathetic nervous system must be very vast when comparing daily tasks to being able to, in some cases, lift a vehicle off of someone. Playing basketball in high school, I found that during our closest games where the score was neck and neck, I always seemed to play my best thanks to adrenaline.

I found this post to be quite interesting as well. The idea that our body can just flip to the flight or fight mode is amazing. There is so much that takes place in the body and it is fascinating that this all happens in such a short amount of time. As for your questions, I took a Human Anatomy class last year and we touched on this subject a bit. In today's world the fight/fight stimulation can occur playing video games and from other circumstances in which the body never really has to fight or run. From what I remember this does led to problems, although I cannot remember the exact complications I think it had to do with a build up of the fatty acids and glucose sitting in the body and not being burned off in the actual fight/flight response.

Adrenaline is an interesting topic. Most people think about it when ridding rides at an amusement park. I believe the flight or fight response in humans today is widely used. For example the stress of a cop pulling you over, will either lead you to stopping your car or taking off. Common real world experiences happen to us everyday, the direction we go whiter fight or flight makes a difference.

I think constant activation of the sympathetic nervous system means a person is likely to be very tensed up and agitated in everyday life. As the arousal of the sympathetic nervous system inhibits saliva production and slows digestion, I think the person who is stressed out all the time would suffer from dyspepsia.

Having continuous activation of the sympathetic nervous system by adrenaline would create an extremely interesting outcome. Our abilities in certain situations would skyrocket. This reminds me of the movie Limitless, where we can take a pill to tap into the full potential of our brains. It allows us to excel in certain areas, but at what cost?