Chapter 4: Extrasensory Perception

Chapter 4 is about sensation and perception. Here is an interesting concept called extrasensory perception (ESP). According to the textbook, extrasensory perception is divided into three types, which are precognition, telepathy and clairvoyance. Precognition is an ability to predict what will happen in the future. Telepathy is like mind reading. People with clairvoyance have "x-ray" eyes, which help them detect hidden things. The three types of phenomena sound like supernatural powers. However, the examples of extrasensory perception are everywhere in daily life. I went to Madison during the winter break for the first time. One night, I went out to buy some fruits but I lost my way. I did not bring my phone and I could not find anyone for help. I was about to cry. Interestingly, I felt I was under the same circumstances in one of my dreams. I found myself standing in a strange street and I was so scared that I woke up immediately. This experience was amazing and unbelievable. This might be an example of precognition and it is called déjà vu referred to a subsequent chapter. Another example of precognition mentioned in the textbook is some people know what others are going to say. I have to admit it happens a lot but as the textbook explained, this kind of situations only happens to intimate people. A similar case would be my mother even gets what I am saying when I brush my teeth at the same time. None of my words are pronounced correctly. I do not think her right understanding is due to extrasensory perception. However, it is because my mother knows me so well that she understands me by my body language and facial expressions. Perhaps that people you just meet can also have an idea about what you mean or going to say. Yet as the book says, you do not notice times they have no idea happen much more often. Prediction.jpg

This article is very interesting, and I feel that there is some truth to ESP, but the idea is just shoved under the bus with UFOs (not that I believe in them). I disagree that it takes an intimate relationship to "predict" what somebody is going to say. Many times, I find myself anticipating what somebody might say no matter how well I know them, but how many times I am right does nothing to prove that ESP is related to predicting what someone might say. I have also heard that déjà vu is not really seeing something before it happens and then when it happens, but that it is simply a trick that your eyes are playing on you by showing you an image in one side of your brain before the other side. Regardless of this, there are some phenomenas that cannot be explained without ESP.

I believe that the popularity of ESP is directly related to how fascinating it is. While this is true for many things, I think this relationship plays an especially important role when it comes to ESP. ESP is very intriguing, and people often times want it to be true so much that they allow themselves to believe it is, either through ignoring how coincidences work, or as you said, they don't realize that their eyes simply playing a trick on them. Then after more people believe it to be true, it becomes more popular, but just because something is popular doesn't make it true.

ESP... i've never been a believer in it's validity, but that isn't surprising since it's a lot easier to see how scientifically invalid it is than to believe in it's usefulness. the main thing that deters me from believing ESP is valid is a video i watched on it. in the video ESP professionals were tested on camera, and failed to display their talents.