facial emotions

Have you ever been forced to pretend a smile somewhere? Well, studies say that if you are forced to smile you will actually find the place or event more enjoyable. In 1989, Charles Darwin came up with a theory known as 'Facial feedback hypothesis' saying that blood vessels in the face feed back temperature information in the brain,altering our experience of emotions. I thought this was really interesting because at my work for instance, I have to always be smiling and laughing, so on days when i'm tired and crabby I am still forced to smile which automatically makes me have a way better time. In the end, smiles become conditioned stimuli for happiness and frowns become conditioned stimuli for unhappiness.

I don't know if I agree. I definitely think that forcing a smile does have the ability of improving a persons mood but think it also depends on a persons temperament. A person that has a more positive outlook is probably more likely to respond to a forced smile positively than a person with a negative outlook. I know that in jobs I have had where smiling was a part of the job criteria sometimes forcing myself to smile actually caused me to become annoyed and sometimes angry. I am not saying I am a negative person but pretending to be happy when I am not sometimes makes me even less happy because it reminds me of what made me sad or angry in the first place.

I would have to agree with this blog entry to an extent. Is it always true that smiling will make you feel better? No that just cant be true in all scenarios. Like the example the person gave above they say you just sometimes have to force a smile regardless. If your in the right environment then I can very well see how this would pay off. If your in a bad mood but all your friends are having fun trying to cheer you up. Maybe cracking a smile or two might loosen you up and make you happy.

I somewhat agree with the truth of the facial feedback hypothesis. I think it creates and openness to happy feelings, but does not replicate actual happiness. With one's muscles and appearance showing happiness, social interaction will have a greater chance of resulting in positive emotions.