IQ testing as a measure of job performance

Many employers like to use IQ test scores as an indicator of how well an individual will do for the job they've applied for. Is this right or wrong? I think that though IQ testing can be a useful tool for selecting a new worker, it should not take priority over other methods to predict quality job performance.

IQ testing, at first glance, seems like a very good way to decide on who to give a job. There's a slightly positive correlation between IQ score and job performance.

Though there is a positive correlation between IQ score and job performance that doesn't mean that it's a perfect correlation. For all the people that have a higher IQ than someone else and does better at a job because of it, there are some with lower IQ's that would have done a better job. It's similar to those who know how to look themselves good in interviews versus those who get too nervous to do so--just because some people get nervous for them doesn't mean that they wouldn't be good at their job, the same as the person who knows how to make themselves look good wouldn't necessarily do a good job.

IQ scores should be used as one of many methods of predicting job performance. IQ score isn't perfect at predicting a future worker's performance, which is why that error must be balanced out with other methods of prediction.

I agree with your opinion that IQ tests should not be the only method utilized to predict a person's whole intelligence. IQ tests measure only specific areas of overall intelligence, such as recalling facts, spatial intelligence, and ability to recognize patterns. Although success in these areas could mean that a person is more likely to have other areas of intelligence, it does mean that a number equates to ultimate intelligence.

You bring up some interesting points about IQ testing, however, there are a few more aspects about the topic that I feel are worth looking into. I believe IQ testing is effective for certain types of jobs, specifically ones with a high demand for complex tasks. This being said, there are certainly jobs out there that taking an IQ test for would make little to no sense what so ever. One key aspect of job performance is the motivation that the employee has and their sense of work ethic. IQ testing certainly does not measure either of these two factors that play a crucial role in an employee's job performance.

I totally agree with you in that IQ testing should be one of many methods in the interviewing process. One reason is because, I feel like there are many people out there who are good at "bullshitting"; with this trait, people are able to talk themselves up without complete accuracy. An IQ test may cut out a portion of this nonsense many people try to pull.

IQ tests should be used as one of many methods, I completely agree with that statement. There are so many more factors that I believe aptitude tests do not take into consideration. Experience is one of the main factor that I believe an IQ test cannot compensate for. Someone who has done the job before and preformed an amazing job but scored low on an aptitude test should not be looked down upon because s/he can most likely preform that particular task better than anyone.

I agree with you in that IQ testing can be used to help determine the applicant-selection process. However, like you mentioned, you cannot only rely on that. Certain jobs, such as lawyers, physicians, etc., would obviously prefer a higher IQ score. On the other hand, jobs in the manual labor industry should not require IQ testing at all. Those jobs require hard-working employees, and that's about it. To be honest, though, I do not think any company should use IQ testing in the selection process because there are a lot of factors that can affect that score.

To me, using IQ scores is a terrible way to find the most qualified employee. For example sales; if you have a prospect salesman who has a through-the-roof IQ but is terrible with people, he will be bad at his job. Jobs that require any people skills (most jobs), IQ doesn't measure this which is one of the most important aspects of getting the job. Just because you have the smarts doesn't mean you have the proper skills to put them to use.

I agree IQ testing is only one of many considerations that should be used when hiring an employee. Also it should only take a central role when being used for jobs that require a high intellect. To hire someone only on intellect however seems like it would create a world of bigger jerks than ever before. As referred to though some people can pretend to be something there not so I do think IQ testing can have a place in the hiring process just not a central one.

I feel that while it could be beneficial to use IQ testing to influence hiring, I agree that it should definitely not be the only factor. While this could be beneficial in the long run, I think it should also be taken into account that this could deter some potential employees, decrease the variety of people, and restrict some people that may be more suitable for the job from working there. I think that overall, the risks outweigh the benefits of IQ testing. I just think there are other ways to determine different types of intelligence, and to find the most suitable employees.

Using IQ scores as a basis to hire can become difficult. It's been argued that whether IQ tests are 100% valid for quite some time now. While there is a positive correlation with IQ scores and job performance, I feel the scoring of IQ isn't always applicable to all job responsibilities. This gets to be more difficult if a certain job entails for many different responsibilities (i.e. a CEO vs a barista job).

IQ scores can be valuable at times but it's really important to see everything that someone can do. Intelligence is obviously important but so are social skills and work ethic which are things that can't be measured by a test and if they are most people are intelligent enough to not tell the truth. A lot of people also have test anxiety and/ or don't speak great english which puts them at a disadvantage but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be a good asset to a team.

I think that IQ tests are a great idea for larger corporations when trying to weed out potential employees from a big group. However, there comes a point when the IQ test should not be used because it cannot measure things like job performance and honesty.

This is a very controversial topic. My first argument for why it should not be used as the primary determining factor would be the lack of ability to measure experience. You can be the most brilliant person in the world but if you have no experience dealing with interpersonal situations then there is no test that can measure that, other than in interview.

I think that while IQ is a good factor to include and consider in hiring it's not the only thing that should be evaluated. While it could be a good indicator of things to come I think there are a lot of other factors such as work history and an interview that can tell you a lot more.

I believe that using an IQ test as a tool to help an employer decide whether or not to hire someone should only be used in professions where the IQ of someone is extremely relevant, such as lawyers or doctors. But there are many other factors that over-shadow a person's IQ in the grand scheme of job performance, like decision-making, working with others, handling responsibility, etc. Even if an a person's IQ test is taken into account in the hiring process it should only be a small part of an applicants entire resume; many other qualifications should be considered before an IQ test is even discussed.

I agree with the notion that the IQ of a person should not be used as the only standard of qualification for employment. While having a higher IQ definitely shows an inclination in being able to learn new skills at an accelerated rate, it fails to express other factors that contribute to overall success in the work environment. Examples of these other factors are attitude, willingness to learn, and how much effort a person is willing to invest in the employment opportunity itself. These other factors can not be measured by an IQ test;thus, illustrating the shortcomings an IQ test posses' when employment is being based on the IQ score itself.