Retail Buying and Psychology

Signing up for classes, I was somewhat skeptical on what Psychology 1001 would be all about. I honestly never dreamed that it would be so in depth, and would be able to explain nearly everything a living organism does. I appreciate what we have learned in the class greatly, because I know that I will find it useful in the future. I'm am currently attending school for Retail Merchandising, and hope to land myself a job as a buyer for clothing store. Until taking this class, I never actually realized how closely related my major, and psychology are.
As a buyer, you are responsible for selecting items to stock a store with, based on your predictions of how popular you think that item will be amongst consumers. In this process, it is extremely important for a buyer to observe the behaviors and tendencies of the consumers that shop at the store they are buying for. When a buyer is able to do this, he or she is able to provide items for the store, which will satisfy the consumers wants and needs. It is also a Buyer's responsibility to to forecast fashions that will surface months or years down the road. In order to do this, a buyer is required to study past and present fashion trends, while always keeping in mind the persona their store is aiming to please.
In order to excel in this type of position, it is crucial for me to take into account the psychology of humans, specifically when they shop. I am excited to dig deeper into my major and uncover other ways psychology plays a role in the retail buying process.

Interesting! Yeah, it's crazy how relevant psychology is to pretty much any major or post-grad career. Good luck with that very specific goal.

I'm also a retail merchandising major! And I totally agree that psychology is relevant in the retail environment but I din't really think that this class will be beneficial at any job I have in the future. While it's interesting stuff to know in life I feel like every type of company has their own way of understanding and getting to know the customer and that there isn't really a way to prepare for it besides familiarizing yourself with the current trends, like you said. I really wish that they had more specialized psychology classes that worked more with things applicable to the retail industry.

Interesting post! Something else that we learned in psychology that I feel is related to your topic is the concept of classical conditioning. It seems that more and more businesses rely on this technique when trying to "subconsciously" pursued people into buying their product. I see this a lot in the fashion industry with celebrities promoting clothing lines and make up. With the help of classical conditioning, the industry hopes to make an impact of "if I buy this outfit, I will look more like that celebrity!".