Stupid Intelligence

Intelligence, and how we measure it, is very controversial. There are those who think that intelligence can be measured by a simple score on a math, science, reading or english test. This type of testing really hits home. It is a key contributor to the reason that we are currently attending this University. ACT and SAT testing is a major part of college admissions these days. But do these tests really tell us how "intelligent" a person is?

After reading chapter 9 and getting a little more information on the topic, i found that there are some better methods for analyzing someone's intelligence. The method that i found to better access someone's intelligence was the Triarchic Model. This model measures knowledge past the cramming and regurgitation that standard IQ, ACT, and SAT tests require. On top of factual knowledge, it gives proper representation to practical (street smarts) and creative knowledge. Practical knowledge is also called "tactic intelligence", which means it is knowledge about how to do something rather than knowledge about something. This is extremely important in applying factual knowledge to everyday situations. The 3rd wheel to this model is creativity. This is important to the intelligence model in that it accounts for the intelligence we need in order to find new and effective solutions to problems. All 3 are important factors in determining a persons intelligence, and without one of them, i don't think that all "knowledge" is accounted for. Do you think that colleges should change their admissions process in a way that tests for all 3 types of knowledge?

I think the SAT/ACT tests are a good measure of how well a person will do at a university. I mean, let's be honest, schools don't really care whether or not you're street smart; you're not going to college to study how well you can measure a social situation, you're going to college to study and master (hopefully) different topics under the scope of academia. As for creativity, I think that the SAT/ACT measure creativity to a small extent. Sometimes you have to be creative when solving the problems on the math and science sections, for example. So, as is, I think the tests are sufficient. Besides, many colleges don't solely look at test scores; often times, they look at a person's extracurriculars and admission essays as well.

I personally believe that more colleges should take into account all three areas of intelligence proposed by the triarchic model. Your SAT/ACT can only tell you so much about one's "book smarts" but it really says nothing about who we are as human beings and what we are truly capable of. I won't lie to you, my ACT score was kind of sh** compared to some other students enrolled in this university, but I still received my acceptance letter rather quickly after submitting my application, most likely due to my surplus of extra curricular activities and leadership positions. I appreciated that the U took into account my other strengths, because I personally am a terrible test taker and strongly believe that standardized entrance exams do not give humans enough credit for determination, leadership, communication, and other such skills.