Abnormal is normal

I think the concept of psychology that I am most likely to remember for a while is the wide variety of psychological disorders, vast differences between them, and their prevelance. I've always found disorders to be the most interesting area of psychology, yet I still didn't know as much about it as I thought. The readings gave me an especially good insight into the troubles of some close friends and relatives.

After first hearing of my close friend going through panic attacks, I had little clue what could cause them, nor did I think know how common they were. Reading about it not only gave me information about the problem, it gave me ideas as to how to help my friend through these attacks.

With some of these disorders, such as depression and anxiety, becoming increasingly common, it is important to think about how they are diagnosed, how they can be helped, and what puts a person at risk for them, because one or more could afflict us later in life. And, again, by keeping in mind that these things are common, we can put aside misconceptions and seek the help that is needed.

I totally agree about how the abnormal psychology section was incredibly interesting in terms of what you can see in those around. For an example, my grandma has been diagnosed with depression, and after learning about it in class I can totally see some of the causes and effects in her. For example, her father was an alcoholic and in the section about alcoholism in lecture, Dr. Grove said that females with depression often have an alcoholic male in their family. Also, she has diabetes, and depression was correlated to high blood sugar levels. Very interesting!

You make a great point by saying that we need to keep these disorders in mind because some of us are at risk for developing them. Especially when it comes to Major Depressive Disorder where 20% of us will experience it within our lifetimes. Being a male also puts me at a higher risk for not getting issues like that addressed. The best way to prevent it is to provide people with the right information to recognize when they need help well before a certain issue starts.

I agree with you. I actually wrote my last blog post before I read this chapter. Had I read this chapter first, I would have written about it. Do you think, however, that we are over diagnosing some of these diseases? For example, I know quite a few people who suffer from ADHD, but I know that people are wrongly diagnosed with this every day. Would these over diagnostics lead to our culture becoming dependent on medicine? While I agree with you that moving in to the future we need to help these people out more, I think that we need to be cautious when identifying who needs help

I also found the abnormal psychology section very interesting. I found a lot of my prior beliefs about psychological disorders to be false. Now I feel after taking this course that I can better understand people with psychological disorders, and also help disprove many erroneous common beliefs about them.

I also found this very interesting as I think everyone does because almost everyone comes into contact with it at some point. I pent the summer living with someone with really bad bipolar who wasn't being treated and this opened my eyes to the facts behind a lot of what I witnessed firsthand.