Social Loafing

Don't you hate when your doing a group project and there is those two girls in your group that don't do anything and gossip the whole time? Well, that is an example of social loafing. A topic discussed in chapter thirteen, Social Psychology. It's not fair when the teacher announces that everyone in the group gets the exact same grade, but then you and one other person end up doing everything in class, going home to work on it and then talk during the whole presentation. Then of course the two stupid girls who didn't do anything get the exact same grade as you. It isn't fair, but in reality there is nothing that we can do about it. If you go and tell the teacher that you did everything, all they are going to do is ask the girls if they helped out, or what they did. Which those girls can just make something up. It is very frustrating but if happens to the best of us.

sounds like you have some pent up anger haha :P

think of it this way. those two girls who are socially loafing are not going to know shit about what the presentation was about. in fact, they probably don't know shit about a lot of things if they spend their time talking to their friends while riding on the backs of others to get through school.

in other words, just desserts will come when you're employed for knowing your shit and they aren't employed for knowing no shit!

and even if they don't ever get their just desserts, do you really want to have to work with people like that anyway? they'd probably only slow you down haha.

social loafing is a bothersome thing, nevertheless.

I totally agree with you and from experience it is very frustrating. Social loafing is just a part of life that most people who are motivated enough to do more than their share of the work for the greater good will experience. Sadly it doesn't stop after school and many of us will experience it in our careers as well. From my experience, if you keep working harder than everyone else it will definitely pay off in the end and a good manager will be able to see that you are putting forth more time and effort than your coworkers.

So, so true. I feel like I always learn more when I do projects by myself anyways. I don't think group projects end up teaching nearly as much as teachers think they do.

I think that at young ages, particularly in elementary school, it is important to do group projects so that we can learn to work together. However, come high school and especially college, group projects should not be a common thing. It's very easy for teachers to over look social loafing, especially if the project is not accompanied by a presentation, and group grading is not always fair either. There should really be a better system to incorporate working with others. Maybe doing individual projects and combining them into a presentation to compare?

In high school, my classmates would always beg to do group tests, thinking that we could pool all our information and there was always bound to be someone who knew the answer to whatever question. But considering social loafing and groupthink, it is probably a good think my teachers always said no. It most likely would have caused increased frustration and possibly lower scores across the class.

Last semester I had a big group assignment for one of my class. As always it was difficult coordinating times and distributing work out evenly. And of course there were 2 social loafers in the group. What I did like about the assignment is that my instructor would be giving us a grade on our work and presentation, but on top of that we were given the opportunity to grade our team mates. The grade we gave to each other was then added to the grade we received from the teacher, so essentially we all got different overall grades. The total grade was out of 30 and 3 of those points were coming from your group members. 3 points isn't that much but it can be the difference between grade cutoffs. I believe more teachers should use this method.