Recently in 3 Make up Points Category

DS makeup- Bio & Con

I am going to try and combine the two sections as best as possible into one plot post to make up for points. Something that I wanted to look more into when I was reading chapter 5 on consciousness, was if (and how) psychological mental disorders were somehow correlated with sleep. I have heard several times that depression symptoms can either be loss of sleep of excess amounts of sleep. I wanted to know if some chemical imbalances in the brain causing types of mental disorders could be helped if sleep patterns were regulated. Sure enough, on health.harvard.edu, I found an article talking about this exact question. It talks about how sleep problems might contribute to the development of psychiatric disorders. So, treating a sleep disorder might also "reduce symptoms of a mental health problem." This is dependent on the psychiatric diagnosis of course, but I found this all very interesting. In high school, getting adequate amounts of sleep is stressed. People tend to not take it seriously, because it's something we do every night and there will always be another opportunity for more sleep. But, without regular sleeping patterns, our brains will not have enough time to recuperate and get ready for the next day. I could see how after time, this would exhaust the brain and possible cause some type of disorder, biologically.
images2.jpeg

Mental Sets

It is interesting to think about mental sets, we do one thing or similar things so many times that we become fixated on having only one way to come to the solution of such problem, but when a curve ball is thrown, we have trouble figuring it out. The more I began to think about mental sets, the more I see how it can be connected to short term memory. In both cases, the process is repeated and encoded into your mind, but the process does not stick with you forever. If you were to stop the process and take a break, it would be easy to see that a different path needs to be taken to reach the desired goal. This could be seen as similar to not transferring short term memory to long term memory. An example in the book gives us an algorithm that can be used to find the volume of different glass sizes, we get this stuck into our heads in the short run, and when we get to the last problem, the answer we get do not match the actual answer. When we take a break and the algorithm is not embedded in our minds we can easy see the new pattern, it is all about memory and what has worked in the past. To overcome the idea of mental sets, we need to cognitively think and work out each problem, avoiding the pattern and the possible down falls that may follow.

Blog #4- 5 Years Time

There were a lot of lessons in psychology that are applicable in everyday life now, and will be in the future. When thinking about the concepts we talk about in discussion and lecture, I often to relate them to my own life experiences, particularly my experiences with horses. My family has owned horses since the 60s and I've been riding since before I can walk and competing since I was 2. Through the years I have spent a significant amount of time training both horses and other riders.
There were some concepts from the learning, particularly operational as well as classical conditioning that I found applicable to training horses. Sometimes it's difficult to be patient, and easy to get frustrated and resort to punishment. According to psychology however, it's better to reinforce than to punish. Even though this is something I already knew from experience, it helps to see it laid out as fact in a textbook. I also enjoyed the social psychology portions concerning social facilitation as well as social disruption, which could be useful when giving lessons and knowing when it's best to take someone aside to learn something privately or when people may benefit from showing a skill in front of others.
Horses will always be a part of my life, as well as training horses and riders, so these are lessons that will absolutely still be remembered and relevant in my life 5 years from now.

I have always found biology and memory very fascinating, this could be because my Grandfather died of Alzheimer's and I always wanted to understand how the brain, this amazing organ, could fail on someone.

brain_cross_section_border.jpg

According to Lilienfeld, "The memory loss begins with recent events, with memories of the distant past being the last to go." This was the case for my grandfather. He realized that he was having difficulty at work and navigating around town and eventually he did not even recognize my mother. Lilienfeld also wrote, "These abnormalities (senile plaques and neurofibrillary tangles) contribute to the loss of synapses and death of cells in the hippocampus and cerebral cortex." The fact that, early on, my grandfather had a lot of difficulty navigating could be due to death of cells in the hippocampus, which, according to Lilienfeld, "plays crucial roles in memory, especially spatial memory".

The horrible deterioration of my grandfather's memory was a mystery before taking PSY 1001 and I find it very beneficial to understand the disease that killed him.

*I was missing one point from each of biological psychology and memory so I am doing one post that brings the two subjects together! If you can only give me make-up points on one, that's okay.

Dealing with Stress

When I was was reviewing for the final exam, I came upon the chapter about stress. I read this chapter with great interest, because lately I feel extremely stressed in my everyday life. I learned that everyone deals with stress a different way, and everyone lets stress affect themselves in a different way as well. Learning that stress can lead to many different physical health problems gave me a scare, and I now encourage myself to look at stress as more of an annoyance rather than a burden. Learning that stress can be one of the paths to heart disease inspired me to deal with stress a more efficient way, as well as inspiring me to watch what I eat! Stress also has been very prevalent in my family, as my dad had an extremely stressful job that eventually lead to major health problems. I am now more aware of what stress actually is, and now know how to combat it.

Upon reviewing this chapter for the final exam I found a few interesting concepts to consider. One is the continuation of the nature versus nurture debate. A term coined nature via nurture appeared in this chapter because humans create or seek out an environment that best matches what they want according to their genetic disposition. This segues into my next important concept of the chapter: correlation vs. causation.
Nature via nurture and the post hoc fallacy both exhibit principles that allow us to question which caused what, or demonstrate correlation vs. causation. Nature via nurture is fairly self-explanatory in this column because what causes our development, nature or nurture. The post hoc fallacy also relates to this subject because it is a logical error of assuming that because A comes before B, A must cause B. This can yield problems when analyzing situations and it is important to remember correlation vs. causation.

During week 6 we were focusing on behavior specifically how we are effected by adds through the use of conditioned stimuli and unconditioned stimuli. Seeing as we had an exam that was mostly based on the conditioned/unconditioned responses and stimulus' it is obvious that this section is a big part of Psychology. What I did not realize is why it is such a big part of Psychology until I had more time to analyze this information.

910101233010976.jpg

I found it very interesting as to how much putting an attractive person or an exciting/thrilling environment with whatever is being sold will make someone want that add. Most of the time when I watch adds I don't really think about what is making me want whatever it is I am seeing. However after this class I have found myself looking at adds much more often and discovering the different stimuli that are there to create a feeling (an unconditioned response), which in turn turns into a feeling for whatever is being sold. Through this discussion section and the psychology course I have learned a great deal about how are behavior can be manipulated in different ways and find a lot of it very interesting.

One important chapter that I read was chapter 12. It talked about being able to cope with stress. In the chapter they provided a lot of different ways to overcome stress. They also talked about a lot of ways stress can creep up on you and the different forms it can come in. Stress is defined as tension, discomfort, or physical symptoms that arise what a situation, called a stressor. The important thing that I will remember is to never let it get the best of me. Stress can cause many severe problems such as peptic ulcers or even suicide. Now I may not have that much stress at the moment but even the thought of it is kind of scary. Trying to remain calm and handle one thing at time seems to be the best way to do it. Finals just passed and that was a very stressful time especially when you are on the borderline of passing or failing a class. Worrying about one final at a time is the first thing you can do. You can even narrow it down further to just one problem at a time. Over complicating a problem or having a negative attitude just causes more stress. You dont want to bring more stress upon yourself if you dont have to. Managing all of this is something I will remember and continue to do.

DS Bio-Make up

One thing that I found very interesting in the biological psychology chapter was the story of Phineas Gage and his severed prefrontal cortex. It got me thinking, are there way to reverse these kinds of injuries? And if not, are there ways to adapt? When looking for this information, I came across a scholarly article on Pubmed.gov about a study that showed that damage to your prefrontal cortex can actually increase your utilitarian moral judgements. The six patients that were observed during this study showed complete functioning between right and wrong, and an increased awareness of why they made their decisions. Considering brain injuries are devastatingprefrontalcortex1.jpg, I think this study could really lead the way for other studies observing brain injuries and creating ways for people to deal with them.

Memory

Memory is one of the greatest mysteries still to us. The full capacity of the human brain is something that humans do not use. We just a small fraction of its full potential. To think about what we could do and remember if we used 100% of our brains in crazy. Some people use more and have memories that remember everything they have ever done. While these are rare cases, even regular people that can experience, make sense of their experiences, and then store them in your mind is amazing to me. Memories react and behave in a way that can have physical and emotion effects on us. We remember things that we want to remember, but also things that we wish we could forget. There are things one can take to prevent bad memories from creating a larger more severe problem for people. Another very interesting thing is that people can create false memories. Just like the movie Inception, you can actually implant false memories into people. Not in the way the movie does, but people do it all the time with their childhood. In fact, most memories we have of our childhood are recreated and not really our own memories. Memories are fascinating and our understanding is constantly evolving.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the 3 Make up Points category.

DS make-up writing is the next category.