Recently in Writing #4 Category

I believe what I will remember most from Psychology is the Fundamental Attribution Error. It is not because it was any more interesting that anything else, almost everything I learned is memorable, but I have been able to apply the Fundamental Attribution Error to many situations in my life.

On particular example is my friend who has been raised very American. Has a standard family: Mother, Father and two children, middle class, owns their own home; Very "American Dream" family just without the white picket fence. What I have realized is that my friend likes to make the fundamental attribution error by explaining things by generalizing someones personality. A situation would be during a friendly game of RISK where I was losing and to explain why, his argument was "You are just not good at strategizing". Well No. I was losing because I had the two larges empires attacking me at both sides!!! Okay, this might be a bias example.

Another example is when a friend of mine dismissed an Asian girl as stuck up and shady because she did not respond back in conversion. Not taking in the fact that the Asian girl recently immigrated her from Korea.

I was shocked that I kept finding this Error wherever I looked. And unfortunately it was more prominent in more westernized cultures. Whereas in people from eastern heritage, I was not as able to spot the fundamental attribution error.

Abnormal is normal

I think the concept of psychology that I am most likely to remember for a while is the wide variety of psychological disorders, vast differences between them, and their prevelance. I've always found disorders to be the most interesting area of psychology, yet I still didn't know as much about it as I thought. The readings gave me an especially good insight into the troubles of some close friends and relatives.

After first hearing of my close friend going through panic attacks, I had little clue what could cause them, nor did I think know how common they were. Reading about it not only gave me information about the problem, it gave me ideas as to how to help my friend through these attacks.

With some of these disorders, such as depression and anxiety, becoming increasingly common, it is important to think about how they are diagnosed, how they can be helped, and what puts a person at risk for them, because one or more could afflict us later in life. And, again, by keeping in mind that these things are common, we can put aside misconceptions and seek the help that is needed.

I think that one of the things that will stick with me after this semester is the concept of responsibility diffusion. I commute to the U every day from Champlin, so I spend a little more than 2 hours on the bus every day going to and from campus. One of my biggest pet peeves on buses is when young healthy individuals don't offer to give up their seat to elderly, handicapped, or people with some other condition that would prevent them from being able to stand on the bus comfortably for the duration of their ride. I always make it a point to be the first one to offer up my seat to anyone that looks like they would need it more than I would, but all too often after I give up my seat, there are still others in need of seats and all the other riders just pretend not to notice. Maybe in the future I should ask individuals if they would give up their seats to make them feel more responsible and eliminate the diffusion of responsibility. If anyone reading this has the opportunity to give up their seat to someone else in need please do so. I sustained serious back injuries in combat in Afghanistan and am a card-carrying Disabled Veteran, if I can give up my seat, so can you.Pregnant-woman-standing.jpg

In my humble opinion the most important topic discussed in this class as it relates to everyday life was personality. Personally I can see myself using what I now know about personality in the future as it comes in handy whenever you meet someone new. When you first meet someone often you try to find out who they are, ie. their personality. Using the tools like the Big 5 can help draw out ones personality so one can understand them better. Knowing how the different personalities also allows one to know better how to handle someone and what makes that person tick.

Along with knowing personality, knowing the Attachment theory is something that can come in handy in the future when dealing with people. With the attachment theory it allows one to better understand a boyfriend/girlfriend and why they may act the way they do. Knowing this will put us in a better position to deal with that person and how to handle them when they may be acting a certain way.

So in conclusion knowing more about personalities and the Attachment theory will be something that we can use in the future as it helps up understand the people in our lives.

Out of everything we learned in this course, the stuff that sticks in my head the best is the basic scientific method concepts. I have been able to apply these to daily life everywhere I go. This includes noticing pseudoscientific claims in stores and on tv. I am a PSEO student, and in my Junior English class we learned about rhetorical strategies, I was able to connect a lot of these with the terms from psychology like falsifiability and ruling out rival hypotheses. I learned so much from this course that I will be able to take with me for the rest of my life. It was a really good experience and I met a lot of great people!

There are many things that i have learned in psychology that i believe i will remember in 5 years. Psychology is extremely important to our everyday lives because it makes us who we are. It allows us to grasp concepts and understand more about humans and they way the we think and perceive things.
The thing that has had the most impact on me through this semester would probably be prosocial behavior. This is something that we have recently gone over, and i cant seem to get it out of my mind. Every time i walk down the street and see someone trip or fall, i can't help but ask if they are ok, or if they need some assistance. This also goes the other way as well. As part of prosocial behavior, i believe that doing simple stuff, such as holding doors open for people, can have a dramatic positive impact. If someone see's you hold the door open for them, they might go out of their way to hold the door open for someone else. It is a simple, yet contagious way to impact society in a positive manner.

We are all in this together, and i believe that is the mindset that everyone should have when they think about others. Maybe prosocial behavior will positively progress to the point where there is no such thing as the "bystander effect"

I think the subject that I will remember most from this psychology class is memory. I found it interesting how the mind works and how we remember things. I never knew how much there is to our memory, there are steps I never would have thought about. I thought the discussion activity was neat, trying to remember the different lists of words and sometimes putting words in that weren't even there. That was something that was fun and interesting in this class, I'll remember that drill for a while I'm sure. The thing I found most interesting is when I was reading I would think about the concepts and decide if I could relate them to my own life. Every time I would come across a term I would think about it and completely agree with what it was saying. Now I can't look at my memory the same way. I don't think I ever will be either; the memory unit just changed my thinking about memory. It is something I'm sure I won't forget anytime soon.

In five years from now, I plan to be teaching math in a classroom setting, preferably high school. While math was my favorite subject in high school, I know most other people hated math due to various reasons such as not understanding the topic or disliking the methods or their math teachers. Therefore, I know I will experience a lot of resistance when trying to teach math in the future, but understanding this fact is a very important first step to finding a solution.
Most of my students do not want to be there and could care less what I was saying. This is where I would apply the psychology I've learned about in this class. I can use methods like operant conditioning to help motivate my students to learn. For example, if while lecturing, I rewarded a piece of candy to any students who could answer my questions or did well on a test, this would be a form of operant conditioning using positive reinforcement. However, this can also act as a form of punishment to those who cannot or simply are not answering the questions. This can demotivate them and cause them to stop trying.
While I haven't quite determined a completely successful teaching method, I have quite some time and the use of the learning psychology I learned about in this class to help assist me to find a successful teaching method which will motivate the most students to doing well.

A World of Grays

The greatest and most important concept that I will take away from Psy 1001 is that there are no certainties in anything. The world of Psychology and our world in general is full of gray area. Its not simply nature or nurture, its the intricate balance between nature and nurture. There is no one specific chemical balance in the brain that causes a disorder, nor is it one specific event.

What this has all taught me is that there is rarely a right or wrong answer in life. There is never one specific cause to something happening. There is no one sure answer to the questions and challenges we face, which might not seem reassuring, but it makes life that much more curious and beautiful.

I know everyone in the two sections will make fun of me for this, because it is by FAR the most boring section and chapter in the whole book, but the most influential section and the one that will stick with me the most is the section about the six basic frameworks for scientific thinking. It might just because they are on every test, quiz, and mentioned in almost every lecture; but they are the bases of psychology and scientific thinking in general and very, very important. They are also very memorable because every time I see an argument or scientific data, I think about the principles. They make me question the validity of almost everything in life. This is very influential, and will make me question things for the rest of my life; which is good (I think). Of the six basic frameworks, I also have one that I like particularly well. The correlation vs. causation principle is my favorite principle, because many media outlets and people make too many inferences on data that they are not sure about. It is a great principle, and as my friends can attest to, I use that phrase almost every day. So although many students will not agree with me that this is the most interesting subject or one that will last with them, it will last with me and guide my thinking for a long time. Thanks for reading, comment with whatever you desire, thanks

http://blog.inigral.com/wp-content/uploads/correlation-causation.jpg

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Writing #4 category.

Writing #3 is the previous category.