Personality: If you have the right traits you get the job

When interviewing for a position, we all want to put our best foot forward. The majority of professional interviews I have experienced were specifically focused on my personal traits or personality. interviewing-pic.jpeg
In general, the primary traits examined are best described by the Big Five Model of Personality. The five traits focused on in this personality model are Openness to Experience, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness, and Neuroticism. As you would expect, Openness to Experience generally defines people who exhibit this trait as "open people [who] tend to be intellectually curious and unconventional." Conscientious people "tend to be careful and responsible." Extraversion explains that "extraverted people tend to be social and lively." Agreeableness in people means that people who are agreeable "tend to be sociable and easy to get along with." Finally, Neuroticism defines people who exhibit it as people who "tend to be tense and moody, (Lilienfeld 562). Nervous interviewer.jpg
When thinking about the five different personality traits of the model, it becomes clear that a good candidate for just about any job would rate strongly on traits such as Conscientiousness and Agreeableness. The course textbook even states that "the Big Five predict many important real-world behaviors. High Conscientiousness, low Neuroticism, and perhaps high Agreeableness are associated with successful job performance. Extraversion has [also] been positively correlated with successful job performance among salespersons," (Lilienfeld 562).
I would not be surprised if the interviews I had were constructed to examine these five personality traits. I remember being told that the questions were behavior based and hinged primarily on my past experiences. Have you ever had an interesting or difficult interview? If so, were the questions asked of you possibly about the Big Five?