Rugrats: Good or Bad?

">

Remember the good ole days when The Rugrats was the show that everybody watched? I do, but only vaguely. I was a relatively good child that never got in trouble. Then one day my mom noticed that I had suddenly started acting out, mouthing off, and being nasty to my older brother. She didn't know the reason until she sat down one day and watched The Rugrats with me. As it turns out, I was behaving exactly like Angelica and mimicking her awful behavior. From that day on, I was NEVER allowed to watch The Rugrats again!

Angelica.gif
Kidshealth.org states that kids who view violent acts are more likely to show aggressive behavior and TV characters often depict risky behaviors, such as smoking and drinking, and also reinforce gender-role and racial stereotypes. This relates to the topic that was discussed during discussion last week--that violent video games increase aggressive behavior. One of the articles we discussed stated that, "the brains of violent video game players become less responsive to violence and this diminished brain response predicts an increase in aggression".

As children watch more and more television, they become more comfortable with the behavior being depicted on the screen--whether good or bad. As I watched Angelica lash out and bully her family and friends, I began to see it as a behavior that was acceptable; and therefore, started acting the same way. This is obviously the same phenomenon that we looked at during discussion when we watched Barney and the Power Rangers. Whether it's a TV show or a video game, chances are children are going to slowly start to mimic the behavior that they are custom to watching.