The Power of the Mind

mind.jpg
Of all the things that I have learned this semester I believe that out of all of them I will remember how the interplay between different parts of the brain play together to create a sense of self. The idea that a collection of densely packed nerve cells connected together can produce all of the functions of the brain is simply amazing. The amount of information the brain processes at any given moment is incredible. Even now as I am typing this my cerebellum ensures that I remain upright and still in my chair. My motor cortex takes signals from my temporal lobe and ensures that my fingers strike the right key on the board. Meanwhile my Occipital lobe takes in all of the visual cues around me, and catches mistakes in spelling. Most of this occurs without any conscious thought besides what word should I type next.

When it comes to computing power the brain is unrivaled in many areas. Compare a human driver and a roboticaly driven car. A human can easily drive a car in even the most difficult traffic with out collision and still get to their destination. Compare to the first DARPA grand challenge in 2004 when a set of robotic cars raced on a 150 mile course through the Mojave desert, the best car only went 7.32 miles, although the next year they did considerably better, aka finished the race. Even with the exponentially increasing computational power we are still no were close to a computer with the computational ability to simulate a human mind. This is what I will take away from this class a greater appreciation for the human mind and its multitude of different components that work together to give us the ability to appreciate it in the first place.