The middle school I attended was far less diverse than Lincoln. I can’t recall a single Black, Hispanic, or Native American, that went to Saint Peter Paul and Michael middle school. We had a few students who were Asian, but they had been adopted from Korea as infants and had spent the entirety of their lives in the households of white families, and basically had adopted white culture entirely. Looking at Lincoln, which boasts a large Black and Hispanic population, and whites making up only a small fraction, I can see that the environment of my education is far different. I hadn’t really had much of a chance to interact with someone outside of my race on any level other than passing conversation until I had come to the University. The simple fact was, most people in Saint Cloud, and especially at the private schools, are Caucasian Christians. Many people refer to Saint Cloud as “White Cloud, Minnesota.” I think I would prefer to have come from a middle school, as well as a high school, with a more diverse backgrounds.

at October 13, 2005 4:47 PM