Waste /Other/ Clarissa Kramer

After writing all my other blogs, I actually found an article that I find really interesting and cool. Although I feel pretty nerdy to be this excited, but the article offered an entirely different way of thinking about waste that I hadn't thought about with my topic.

Check it out for yourself: http://bubbler.wordpress.com/2007/07/31/a-list-of-ways-to-reduce-your-waste/

However I'm going to continue talking about my feelings on it. What first really got my attention in the article is this idea about waster our personal energy and time.

"The main problem right now in all of the world, including within each of our own lives, is waste. We waste our time, we waste our resources. Our social, economic, and political systems waste money, people, natural capital, time, and energy. We have all been taught to waste, because we have been taught--and we allow ourselves--to be blind, heedless, "good consumers".

Honestly I feel silly for not having looked at it that way, but it really addresses all kinds of waste and not just the physical earth harming waste. Although the article does continue to talk about physical waste, it does address our time, energy, and resources from a personal stand point that really do encourage people to stop wasting on various levels, including physical waste and theoretical waste. At the end of the article he lists ways of reducing and many of his ways are feasible, and he presents those thoughts in a manner that doesn't guilt the reader into reducing waste. He simply puts it in a new light, but suggesting other ways of looking at it. For example, "Make exercise a part of your daily existence, such as in biking or walking to work, or biking or walking to a bar or bookstore or cafe. Try to eliminate the perception of exercise as an accessory chore or activity to become more desirable." It's simple enough and a great way of reducing the waste of your body, your youth, your abilities, as well as reducing the physical waste that harms the earth.

I just thought the article was great. It was short and succinct but it drove the point home. I'm definitely looking into other blogs he has posted and following them. I encourage others to do so as well.

I like that you pointed this out. I think that it is really important that we know and are conscience of the waste that is produced on a daily basis, not only with actual resources, but even with conceptual things like time. Everything seems like such a sensitive subject nowadays because the reality of the situation is that we waste so much. I think this blog is also really great for the people that do take their time to become conscience of everyday decisions, because we also work in a society that requires positive feedback, which might be an interesting way to get people to react to their wasteful ways...

I think it is so interesting that people don't remember sometimes how valuable our physical abilities are and that we are wasting them especially when young, by not being active. Generally speaking, many peoples' main goal is to save time, instead of take time. To reach this goal we need these consumable aids to help us cut our time in half. We need to stop and really think about what we are doing. That can relate to design and life in general. Cool article!

One can also look exercising as an investment, as with other means of reducing waste. If we reduce waste and excessiveness now, the health of the future will be easier, more manageable, and certainly less expensive (in regards to fixing past mistakes). The same can be said about exercise. It will likely have an impact on your health. Better health means that you'll likely have less health issues in old age, which means you'll spend less money on health care. You'll also live an easier, more manageable elderly life.

This page contains a single entry by krame215 published on May 5, 2010 11:29 PM.

Waste /Personal/ Clarissa Kramer was the previous entry in this blog.

Joshua Larson | Empowerment | Environmental is the next entry in this blog.