Entire Volunteer Journal

The first volunteering Experience at Monroe

I visited Monroe elementary school and volunteered. My volunteer work is to tutor and mentor to elementary school students. Since high school, I really would like to tutor and mentor mathematics. By this chance, I was very happy that I could volunteer what I've wanted. I love spending time with children by playing as well as helping them do assignments. That’s why I chose this volunteer work. But, I was worrying a lot because I've been here just for a year and English is not my mother tongue. My English may cause problems communicating with the kids. I was really nervous due to this fact. ‘Can I really help them?’ I can't teach or revise their writing, and other subjects except math. What if they hate me because I am not a native?
I arrived the school, and checked-in. I and some of other volunteers were waiting the students at the cafeteria. I signed up to volunteer for 5th grade students. When we first met, they were very funny. It was my first time to have a chance to talk with American kids. During first 2 hours, I was supposed to help them do their assignments. However, they didn't really ask questions. They were trying to solve their assignments by themselves. And they had gossips! Especially Gavin called King Gavin. He is very funny! I was very bad at memorizing English name. I don't remember even my classmates' names. But I was trying to memorize their name! I wrote their name on my note several times. I can remember Gavin, Riana, Alexia, Kira Actually these might be wrong spell. And they seemed to be interested in me!?! and next 1 hours , I was playing soccer with them as well as helping folding paper into various figures. I think I had a lot of fun. I really want to get along with them! I can not wait volunteering there. In my opinion, this would be a good chance to learn American culture. Today I was very excited! I cannot wait the next volunteer.

2nd volunteer

This was 2nd volunteer at Monroe community elementary school. This was more hard time than the last time. I was working for 5th grade students. We had homework time for the first 2 hours. They were doing their assignment, and when they had some questions, they asked to volunteers. I was trying to answer their questions. Because they are just 5th grade, Questions were not much difficult to answer. For example, they seemed to learn graph. One of students asked me what the title of this graph was. First, I was very embarrassed when he was asking because I didn’t remember instantly. But I knew the answer. I felt relieved and I taught him.
They were usually very gentle. However, they were saying inappropriate words in a classroom. They were not supposed to do that! For instance, they said “what the fuck, bitch and gay? When they said something about these thing, I was very embarrassed and didn't know what to say. I just said "No, you were not supposed to say that.". I had to learn what to say when they say inappropriate words!
Last time, I was trying to remember some students' name working with me, and they called my name! So I thought we were familiar enough each other to remember each others name. I expected them to at least remember my face. Unfortunately they did not! Because I'm going there biweekly, not weekly, it may be hard for them to remember me. I want to be a good friend with them. I really want to be better volunteer to them. After homework time, we were playing soccer. I enjoy playing soccer since high school. So it was pretty much interesting time
I believe I have to make my volunteer time worthy, even though it's tough as a foreigner and I am going to learn something through volunteer. It’s so interesting to volunteer at Monroe.

3rd volunteer

Today, Monroe school invited newspaper sports journalist who had graduated from northwestern university. Impressively he is a Korean like me. The reason why school invited him at Monroe was to make students understand sports journalism by talking with him. Students asked questions about sports journal such as why he decided to be a journalist, what kind of sports he liked to play, and if he had met any famous sports star, something like that questions. They seemed to be interested in sports pretty much, and they looked excited. I noticed big difference between Korean and American elementary students which is that commonly American students are crazy for sports such as baseball, basketball, football, while Korean students are not. American students are enjoying watching games since they were young. In school, one of their assignments is to write a relay broadcast. Sports are their favorite play. Even they are grown, they love sports, you know. When their state baseball team game is held, everyone is going to cheer up. In contrast, Korean kids don’t really like sports as much as Americans. After talking with journalist, we were taken pictures. And then we had elective class. I played sports with them; soccer and baseball. I think they are really good at playing sports. In my opinion it's very good to love sports since they are young. It’s very sound and healthy.
I went to Monroe elementary school 3rd time. I was thinking what volunteer means, because I was thinking what the hell I was doing there. I believe volunteer is to give a hand people who need help, so it's very worthy time. But when I went to Monroe school, I did nothing but just sitting and standing. I don’t think this was volunteering. They seemed not to need any help or assistant from us. Is it helpful for them that I volunteer for them? Have I spent worthy time as a volunteer? If not, I think I don't really need to be there. You know, I don't want to waste my time if there is nothing to learn from volunteer. The problem is the time was worthy to me as well as them, students. To just waste time is not what Ozayr wants. There must be something to learn. So far, I don't think I've found something. I feel it's time to do something.

4th volunteer work at Monroe
03/24/2008
Today I was working for 3rd grade students, not a fifth students. I had worked for only fifth grade students before. When we met first time at cafeteria, they suddenly asked me to say some words like their name. They thought that because I was not a native-speaker, my accent was weird and funny. I just said what they wanted me to pronunciate over and over. I was little bit annoyed at that time, because they were making fun of me. It was OK. It's true that my English sucks! They seemed to be interested in myself, foreigner negatively. We and a teacher went to a classroom. For about 40 minutes, we had a time to complete their assignments. Students were solving some math problems which were something about a area of parallelogram. After that, I and students played a game about multiplication. We solved some problems together. A teacher talked about something. I don't remember exactly. During that time, a student was kicking me over and over. At first, I said just “Why? Stop kicking me, please ? but he ignored and kicked me over and over. I was fucking annoyed. I said "stop it seriously, please ", but again he didn't stop. He pissed me off, but I controlled myself, and went away from him. He was kind of trouble-maker and no respect for a volunteer and a teacher. They are too energetic to be controlled? They’re crazy! But also sometimes they're very kind and friendly. After regular after-class, I went to a gym to play sports with them as usual. We played a baseball. They were fast......I felt again that they were more energetic than I was. It was funny time as well as annoying time. I want to work again for 4th grade students

04/07/2008 5th Volunteer AT MONROE

This was my 5th volunteer at Monroe school. It's already April. Time really flies like arrows. I was volunteering for 4th grade students. It was different group from the last time 4th grade kids. There were 5 kids. At first we went to library. I introduced myself. They wanted to tell scary story. So we turned off all lights in library. Then, one of students began to tell scary. I did want to say a scary story. But I didn't know any scary story in English. After this, they had time to think about environment. So each student received articles which was written about global warming, recycle something like that. They were asked to read it, write main point of it and draw some picture about it. It was likely to help them to understand environmental problem, importance of environment as well as the point of writing, we were playing game like seek and hide in library. They looked so excited. I joined the game as well. I and some students went to gym to play sports. I played soccer with kids.
Today I felt that I was alone. Since when I was at Monroe school, everyone- volunteers, teachers, students- were American. I was the only foreigner. And I've been America just for 10 months. I could not express what I wanted to say instantly. Usually I was so silent. I was just sitting. When they needed help, just helped them. But other volunteers seemed to have fun with kids! They talked some jokes. To me it was pretty much hard to get familiar with kids. Some kids seemed to treat me as a weird person. I really wanted to participate in volunteer more enthusiastically. But I didn't really know what I should do.

04/21/2008 Volunteer

Today, I volunteered for the 4th grade kids. A teacher told me that we were going to have a mess. 4 students came to meet us at cafeteria; two of them were boys and others were girls. We went to Art class room. A teacher gave kids powder and some water. With teacher’s instruction, they were adding water into powder and molded to make it sticky like glue. A teacher provided them two balloons. Kids pasted papers and feathers with glue that they made on the balloon. It was really messy, but very interesting class. I did not know exactly what it was though. After art class was over, students had time for doing homework. Some kids who did their homework already made their own owl. They colored the owl, cut the owl by scissor and stick it. While doing this, one of students asked me about Korea. He wanted me to teach some Korean words such as Hi, How are you doing, and so on. When I taught Korean, they looked very having fun.
In a choice class, some kids and I went to outside instead of going to the gym. The weather was really nice. Some played soccer and others played basket ball.

This was my last time to volunteer at Monroe. It was such a good experience as well as a meaningful time. I do not know if I gave them some help (Maybe not). I regretted that I had not participated in volunteer work as hard as other had worked. Since it was my first volunteer at US school, honestly I did not know well how to say or what I was supposed to do there or how to get along with the kids easily. When they asked me something difficult, I was just embarrassed. While volunteering, I was trying to understand kids and help them as much as I could. Now I've experienced a volunteer and understood what volunteer is. In next time, I would do better.

blog promt #9

about the Presentation which was talking about Dubai. let me evaluate the presentation in terms of 3 criteria like last week. 1st Their topic's creativity 2nd Information 3rd Design of their portfolio, In conclusion, They've got really good portfolio as well as research.

- My Analysis?

1. topic
there topic's creativity. Their goal was developing nationsworldwide. and focused on dubai. I think That was so creative. I think the topic was related to the goal, developing nationsworldwide very well and architecture. Thru their presentation, I could understand the reason why they chose Dubai as the objective of their research which is that Dubai's plan to utilize other coutries and firms technology to be one of high-developed cities could be a model or good example for other cities.
And I think its good example.

2, Information.
They researched Dubai's Economy, Education, Tourism, Structure, and Technology which were in detail
It was pretty well organized. Their analysis was Very logical in terms of their Goal, which is developing city. thru their presentation, I noticed they had been participating in term project hard.

* Their presentation *
dubai.jpg
dubai2.jpg

3, Design.
As you see, they used good pictures and simple explanations which were comprehensive. So the portfolio looked very clear, simple. I believe we don't need to include too much information in portfolio. but do need just very main ideas.
The design looked like kinda book. I dont know what program they utilzed making the portfolio. It was pretty much good as a portfolio.

04/21/2008 Volunteer

Today, I volunteered for 4th grade kids. A teacher told me today we were gonna have some mess. 4 students came to us. then we went to Art class room. there were 2 boys and 2 girls. teacher gave them a powder and water. Then by adding water into powder, They molded the glue. Teacher gave them two balloons. Kids pasted papers on the balloon with the glue. Then I also pasted feathers on the balloon. It was really messy. but also very interesting class. I didn't know exactly what it was, though. After the art class, we had homework time. kids who didn't have homework, made their own owl. They colored the owl, cut the owl by scissor and stick it. During doing this, one of students asked me about Korea. He wanted me to teach some Korean as Hi, How are you doing, something like this. They looked fun! when I taught Korean. and then we cleaned our class room.
In a choice class, I and some kids went to outside instead of gym. the weather was really nice. some students played soccer. others played basket ball.

This was my last time to volunteer at Monroe. It was good experience as well as meaningful time. I don't know if i was helpful to them. (maybe not). I regretted that I couldn't participate in volunteer as hard as others did. It was my first volunteer at school. Actually I feel like I didn't know well how to say or what I'm supposed to do there or how to get along with the kids. When they asked something difficult for me, I was just embarrassed. While volunteering, I was trying to understand kids and help them as much as I can. Now I've experienced volunteer and understood what volunteer is. In next time, I would do better.

blog prompt8 presentation

As there was only one group presented on this monday, Let't talk about their presentation. Their topic was Goal 7: ensure environmental sustainabiltiy which is as same as ours. I evaluated theirs in terms of 1) the futher idea from actual topic 2) Information 3) designs of their portfolid 4) comprehension.

1) their topic was Goal 7 Ensure environmental sustainabilty. and they talked about green roof , bamboo construction and . I was pretty impressed, because they found the relationship between architecture and the goal pretty well.I think that the idea was very creative and amazing. That was really good. Especially green roof and baboo contruction were really really interesting to me.

2)when presenting, they were talking about definitions, examples, and some details of the factors.

3) desgins
They organized their portfolio very well. when i just took a look at it, it was easy to see and understand what they explained, because they had bunch of pictures to illustrate. That was good point. Their design was cool, not putting too much informations but enough paragraphs and pictures. and they didnt fill up all the margin. I can say they used blank, photo, and paragraphs properly. so It looked pretty simple and clear, rather than complex.

4) Comprehension.
About this..well...they seemed to explain pretty well..actually English is not my mothertongue. even though I understood most material they explained, i cannot say whether they explained pretty well or not.

In conclusion, Generally they were really good. Though they were the first group to present, they were too good.

Interesting pictures from their presentation
greenit.jpg
newyork_roof_gardens__original.jpg
TypicalDetail.jpg
bambootechnologiesweb.jpg
bambu18maior.jpg

1.http://www.gardenvisit.com/assets/madge/newyork_roof_gardens_/original/newyork_roof_gardens__original.jpg
2.http://www.roofsystemsconsultants.com/images/TypicalDetail.jpg
3.http://tropist.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/greenroof1.
4.http://www.urbanaddiction.com/archives/bambu18maior.jpg
5.http://www.mauirealestate.com/blog/blogpics/bambootechnologiesweb.jpg

04/07/2008 5th Volunteer AT MONROE

This was my 5th volunteer at Monroe school. It's already April. Time flies like arrows. I was volunteering for 4th grade students. it was different group from the last time 4th grade kids. There were 5 kids. At first we went to library. I introduced myself. They wanted to tell scary story. So we turned off all lights in library. then, one of students began to tell scary. I did want to say a scary story. but i didn't know any scary story. After telling scary stories. we had time to think about environment. So each student received articles which was written about global warming, recycle something like that. They were asked to read it, write main point of it and draw some picture about it. It was likely to help them to understand environmental problem, importance of environment as well as the point of writing,. And then, we were playing game like seek and hide in library. They love this! I participated in the game. and then I and some students went to gym to play sports. I played soccer with kids.

today I felt that I was alone. It's because when I was at Monroe school, everyone; volunteers teachers students is American. I was the only foreigner. and I've been America just for 10 months. I couldn't say what I wanted to say instantly. usually I was silent. I was just sitting. When they needed help, just helped them. But other volunteers seemed to have fun with kids! They talked some jokes, For me it's pretty much hard to get familiar with kids. Some kid seemed to treat me as a weird person. I really wanted to participate in volunteer more enthusiastically. but I don't know what I should do.

4th volunteer work at monroe

03/24/2008
I've been there for the 4th time. At this time, I was working for 3rd grade students, not a fifth students. I had worked for only fifth grade students before. When we met first time at cafeteria, they asked me to say some words such as their name. They thought that because I was not a native-speaker, my accents would be weird. So I just said what they wanted me to pronunciate. I was little bit upset at that time. Because they were making fun of me! but It was OK. It's true that my English sucks! As well as They seemed to be interested in myself, foreigner. and then we and a teacher went to a classroom. for about 40 minutes, we had a time to do their assignments. students was solving some math problems which is something like a area of parallelogram. After that, I and students played a game about multiplication. we solved some problems together. after that, a teacher talked about something. I don't remember exactly. during that time, a student was kicking me over and over. It was freaking annoying, you know. I said "stop it seriously, please ", but he didn't stop. he pissed me off. but I controlled myself. some of them are trouble-maker, rude, no respect for a teacher. Also They are too energetic to be controlled. they're crazy! but also they're very kind and cute, you know. When I was about 10 years old like them, I was definitely same with them. I was little bit upset and enjoyed by them. after regular after-class, I went to a gym to play a sports with them as usual. we played a baseball. they' were fast......I felt again that they were freaking more energetic than I am. It was funny time. I want to work again for 4th grade students

3 possible desgins

I'm not sure what's expected by this. but first let me talk about how far we progress with project. Our group members met to discuss where to go from now with our rough outline on Tuesday, this week. we read the comments from TA, Kelly Day carefully. we basically agreed to focus on Factors more considered for naming top green cities in the U.S such as Air quality, Recycling, Electrocity use and production, green design, transportation and so on, rather than cities. (we were actually gonna focus on cities in the U.S.)
so, we are going to look up examples of cities, pictures related to the factors, charts or graphs according to factors. Also because we felt like it was too normal and plain to use MS power point, we basically agreed to apply blog or something other else. Actually we didn't discuss how design for title would be yet. I think we'll talk about it tomorrow, Thursday probably. but I've just made 3 possible title designs through some program. so I'm going to suggest mine when we have next meeting.
I think the cover designs are pretty important when we give presentation. It's kind of face of human. We have to grab people's attention in a short time! so the most important thing of Design for title is how clear it is and how impressive it is by just taking look at it, I believe. so When I made cover design, I was trying to show what we're gonna say by a picture, rather than words. So I chose pictures very carefully. Here you go 3 possible designs.
First.
nature32(5954).jpg
at this design I want to stress our topic: Ensure environmental sustainability by putting together 2 opposite pictures; one is nature, other is polluted place.

Second,
2.jpg
It looks cool!, simple, clear. I love this one.

Third,
3.jpg
The picture which was used to make this design is pretty nice, I guess. Without any explanation, the picture is including all information that we're gonna talk about. The design looks simple, clear and distinct, I think.

citation.
1. enews.toxicslink.org
2. wikipedia.org
3. www.umanitoba.ca
4. www.spiegel.de
5. http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/teams/art.gnome.org/backgrounds/NATURE-SunsetBlissIl

3rd volunteer

Today, Monroe school invited newspaper sports journalist who had graduated from northwestern univ. and impressively He is a korean like me. The reason why school invited him at monroe was to make students know about sports journalism by talking with him. So students asked questions about sports journal such as if why he decided to be a journalist and what kind of sports he liked to play, something like that quetions. They seemed to be interested in sports pretty much. they looked excited. I noticed big difference between korean and american elemantary students which is that usually american students are crazy for sports such as baseball, basketball, football. they are enjoying watching games since they were young. In school, one of their assignments is to write a relay broadcast. sports are their favorite play. even though they are grown, they love sports, you know. when their state baseball team game are held, everyone are going to cheer up. In contrast, korean students dont like sports as much as americans. after talking with journalist, we were taken pictures. As usual I played sports with them; soccer and baseball. I think they are really good at playing sports. In my opinion it's very good to love sports since they are young. it's very sound and healthy.

I went to Monroe elementary school 3rd time. I was thinking what volunteer means. because I was wondering if what I was doing at monroe was volunteer. I believe volunteer is to give a hand people who need help , so it's very worthful time But when I went to monroe school, I did nothing but just sitting and standing. I thought this was not volunteer. and they seemed not to need any help or assistant from us. what I've done there was just sitting, standing and playing soccer. is that helpful to them? and have I spent worthy time as a volunteer? If not, I think I don't really need to be there. You know, I don't want to waste my time if there is nothing to learn from volunteer. the problem is the time was worthful to me as well as them, students. To just waste time is not what Ozayr wants There must be something to learn. So far, I don't think I've found something. I feel it's time to do something!!

Blog prompt #6: Term project

blog prompt 6 : look for and document some example of presentation / documentation styles that your term project may take as inspiration.

Our topic of term project is goal 7; ensure environmental sustainability. We, group members , have met to discuss term project to decide how we would research and what kinds of specific topic it would be every after class. We’ve decided to research the US cities such as L.A, Chicago, New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Georgia Charlotte, North Carolina, Las vegas and other polluted or green cities in terms of air quality, biodiversity, energy, climate change and ozone depletion, solid waste, wastewater, transportation. So we will compare to each cites and find what is problem in some polluted cities and also what other green cities do for environment sustainability. we may be using power point. Yet, we don’t decide exactly what kind of programs we will utilize and about details. (we've just made draft and researched what we were supposed to do.) I think it is good idea to use power point as a tool of presentation. It makes easy to see information and clear. There are two strong points of using power point when present project.
First, It’s very easy to make. It looks professional, you know. But It’s never difficult to make. By clicking some manual, we can make perfect presentation. Even though it’s your first time to use power point, you don’t need to be embarrassed. You can learn in a short time! as well as there are a number of designs that we can choose on web.
so I mean, according to content, we just choose appropriate or fascinating desgin.
for example, 파워??트.jpg
PowerPoint2007_Ribbon.jpg

Second, by power point, we can use any visual resources such as graph, chart, pictures, video clip easily. This would help other students understand easily. You know, Ozayr also is using lots of pictures interest us.
파워.jpg we can make this kind of charts in order to make presentation understandable thru powerpoint

eeee.jpg
My practice!:>

and also I think we can use blog as a tool of presentation. I don't know about HTML. but there are lots of web expalining how to make gorgeous blog. So I'm practicing HTML through some webs!

(citation) some pictures from
1.http://www.microsoft.com/uk/atwork/office/powerpoint2007.mspx
2. http://picasaweb.google.com/Ctspenn/GraphicDesignAndIllustration/photo#5141451432892900658

blog prompt #5

BLOG PROMPT #5 Explore through image and text how the built environment affects (supports or detracts) who you are. Speculate in terms of frameworks, clockworks, phenomena and oppositions.

Before get started, take a look at some of pictures of built environment.

1. Cappadoccia, Turkey
capu.jpg
http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/derinkuyu-or-allure-of-underground-city.html

2. Petra, Jordan
petra.jpg
http://www.iipt.org/worldpeacetravel/images/lost-city-petra-jordan-big.jpg

3. Meteoro Monastery, Greece
greece.jpg
http://picasaweb.google.com/sandhya.sathyan/GreeceMarch200702/photo#5054973657720975682

4. Ouro Preto, Minas, Brazil
pica.jpg
http://picasaweb.google.com/NewGardensBand/Postcards02/photo#5088981271186419202

5. Acropolis, Athens, Greece
acropolis_athens_greece_ert.jpg
http://www.theodora.com/wfb/photos/greece/acropolis_athens_greece_ert.jpg

6. CN Tower, Toronto, Canada

7. Dar Seffarine Palace, Fez, Morocco
Dar_Seffarine_courtyard.jpg
www.fez-riads.com/Dar_Seffarine

8. Notre Dame de Paris, Paris, France
400px-NotreDameI.jpg
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/0/03/400px-NotreDameI.jpg

they're marvelous and amazaing, arent' they?
Let's talk about framework, clockworks, phenomena, opposition
1) framework - what is framework? It's very difficult to define framework. it can be thought as a set of relationships, which is fixed and also systems, rules. In my opinion This is kind of order, procedure that we have to keep in mind.
2) Clockworks - this is a cycle. rotation, circulation. for example, season,
3) Phenomena - this is something happened under framework, clockworks., opposition.
4) opposition - literally this means resistance. everything oppose against something. For example, architecture have to oppose against time, weathering, gravity in order to be permanence.
I think the built environment affect me positively everyday. As you can see through the pictures, these buildings have great frameworks, procedure. rule. so, they look perfect, elaborate. Do you think to build these kind of structure is easy? No way, It may require a great precision, structure, clockworks, phenomena, oppostion. Architecture is not simple study, but complex and practical study. When I first saw this kind of buildings from books or web, I was very much fascinated by architecture. Even though some old buildings were built long time ago, such as church, It still has an impact to me. Even now, It looks so marvelous. How did people build architecture like this? And also modern architectures are marvelous. They are such tall and looks like future buildings, high-technologic. while seeing pictures of architecture, I thougt that I did want to design gorgeous building and learn how to design it. Because I have been fascinated by these architecture, I really want to major in architecture. So due to this, I've got here, university of minnesota!

2nd volunteer.

This was 2nd volunteer at monroe communitiy elementary school. This was quite hard time. I was working with 5th grade students. We had homework time. They were doing their assignment, and when they had some quetions, they asked to volunteers. I was trying to answer their questions. Because they are just 5th grade, It's not that much difficult to answer the questions. For example, they seemed to learn graph. so one of students asked me what title of this graph is. At first, I was very embarrased when he was asking because I'm not good at english. but I knew the answer. but I felt relieved, cuz knew the asnwer. so I taught him.
They were sometimes very funny. but sometimes they were saying inappropriate words in class. They are not supposed to do that! When they said something about smoke or gay, I was very embarrassed and didn't know what to say. I've just said "No, you were not supposed to say that." I have to learn what to say when they say inappropriate words !
last time, I was trying to remember some students' name working with me. and they called my name! So I thoght We were familiar enough each other to remeber each others name. so, I expected. but they were not!! Because I'm going there biweekly :[ anyway I was depressed!! So I'm gonna try to be good friends with them. I'm trying to be better volunteer to them.
and we were playing soccer. I've been playing soccer since high school. I think I'm good at soccer. so they seemed to dislike me cuz I was so good player.
I think each time the volunteer work is so worthy even though it's tough as a forigener! This is why I believe I am learning something through volunteer. I would love to volunteer there. I can't wait going there.

blog prompt #4

[blog prompt #4]
If you were completely released from the constraints of the 'architecture school' program, what would you do arcitecturally, artistically, bodily, lyrically, etc that would still have an impact on your environment. Describe a real or imagined place that might allow you to do this. Explore through images and text!

If I were completely released from the constraints of the 'architecture school' program, I would like to travel every country, every city, every village on the earth, learn through their architecture, feel them. There are extremely a lot of great, fabulous architectures over the world. If you are asked about what architecture is, you may think about only modern, high-technique buildings or great designed skyscrapers. But no, there are also traditional and old houses, buildings. These buildings have long history. Maybe 100 years? 1000years? What I mean by architectures here is these architectures, kind of old and traditional buildings. (Of course, It’s clear that architectures like skyscrapers should be also learned, and they are much important. However what I want to say is that we also have to think about our ancestor’s architectures and understand their importance, because there must be valid reasons to be tradition)

japaness.jpg
(japaness traditional house)

?레시아 전통 ?레?.jpg (Malaysian)

남아프리카 론다블로 rondablo전통집.jpg
(South Africa " Rondablo")

??네시아 수마트?? minankabau.jpg
(Indonesia Sumatra Minankabau)

jirye.jpg
(korean Han-ok.)

they were developed over long history. In my opinion, they’ve understood ground, climate, people living in them, time around them which means they were changed and developed according to environments. This is architecture that I’ve learned in lecture. That’s why these are quite different each other. And even though they look very old, they were built by ancestor’s wisdom and scientific intelligence. So some of techniques utilized in those building are so effective and good that we are utilizing it still now. Let me give you a good example – Ondol which is literally meaning "warm stone", comprised three main components: a fireplace or stove, which is also used for cooking and located below floor level; a heated floor underlayed by horizontal smoke passages; and a vertical chimney, located lower than the roofline, to provide a draft.

온?방?리.jpg
온?.gif

(korean illustrations priciple of Ondol )

The heated floor comprised a network of underground flues that transported heat from the kitchen to each room. These flues were covered by thin, flat, wide stones two or three inches thick called kudul that lay underneath the floor. Kudul, literally meaning "fired stone", was covered with yellow earth, and the floor was leveled. To top it off, several layers of yellow paper sheets were pasted on the floor. This process was efficient since the heat and smoke generated during cooking would be transported automatically to each room in the house. Usually the kitchen would be built at a lower level (about one m), and the heated rooms would be in an elevated position to allow the flues to run underneath. Notably, with just one heating the floors would retain their warmth for extended periods, ranging from more than 30 days to three months depending on the design of the flue structure. It’s very effective system to heat room! That’s why we, koreans are utilizing this still now when we design building.
If we look up other architectures, we would find other great facilites in traditional architectures.
Each country, city, village has their own traditional ways of constructing. There should be worthy reasons to be tradition which are still valid like Ondol. I believe those ways would be very useful now, even future. So If I were released from the constraints of the ‘architecture school’, I would like to study, investigate these buildings over the world by visiting all the traditional building directly and learn forefather's wisdoms, because we may understand their wisdom and intelligence by understanding their architects.

(citation)
Pictures, some information from
1. http://www.bougerolle.net/travel/batak_house_sumatra.jpg
2. www.naver.com/image
3. laist.com/2007/07/30/the_japanese_ga.php
4. encyber.com
5. hwangto.org
6. wikipedia.com

The first Experience at Menroe

2/11/2008
I visited menroe elementary school and volunteered. My volunteer work is to tutor and mentor to elementary school students. Since high school, I really would like to tutor and metor mathmetics. by this chance, I was very happy that I could volunteer what I've wanted. I have loved spending time with childrens by playing as well as helping them complete assignments. but, I was worrying alot because I've just got here. my english may be worse than the students! I was really nervous. Actually I don't what to do there. I can't teach and revise their writing, and other subjects except math. what if they hate me because I am not good at english.
I arrived the school, and checked-in, I was waiting the students. I was with 5th grade students. When we first met, They were very cute and funny! during first 2 hours, I'm supposed to help them do their homeworks.
they didn't ask many questions. They were trying to solve their assignments by themselves. They joked many! especially Gavin called King gavin.(I like him very much! I was very bad at memorizaing english name. so I don't remember my classmates' names very well. but I was trying to memorize name! I wrote their name on my note several times. I can remember Gavin, raina, alexia, kira Actually these might be wrong spell.) and they seemed to like me!?! and next 1 hours , I was playing soccer with them. and helping folding paper into various figures. I think I had a lot of fun. I really really want to get along with them! I can not wait volunteering there. and In my opinion, This would be a good chance to learn american culture. So far, so good! I cannot wait meeting them!!

blog prompt #3

blog #3
Propose a set of images, quotes and a playlist of songs that influence your values with
regard to your selected Research Project Millenium Development Goals.
Explain.
#7 ensure environmental sustainability

Water is essential for all dimensions of life. Over the past few decades, use of water has increased, and in many places water availability is falling to crisis levels. More than eighty countries, with forty percent of the world’s population, are already facing water shortages, while by year 2020 the world’s population will double. The costs of water infrastructure have risen dramatically. The quality of water in rivers and underground has deteriorated, due to pollution by waste and contaminants from cities, industry and agriculture. Ecosystems are being destroyed, sometimes permanently. Over one billion people lack safe water, and three billion lack sanitation; eighty per cent of infectious diseases are waterborne, killing millions of children each year. (more...)

World Bank Institue
WATER POLICY REFORM PROGRAM - Nov. 1999

GatheringWater.jpg

More than one-half of the world's major rivers are being seriously depleted and polluted, degrading and poisoning the surrounding ecosystems, thus threatening the health and livelihood of people who depend upon them for irrigation, drinking and industrial water

Ismail Serageldin, Chairman of the World Commission on Water for the 21st Century- Water Forum, Netherlands, November 30, 1999

2.jpg

The crisis of our diminishing water resources is just as severe (if less obviously immediate) as any wartime crisis we have ever faced. Our survival is just as much at stake as it was at the time of Pearl Harbor, or the Argonne, or Gettysburg, or Saratoga
JIM WRIGHT, U.S. Representative, The Coming Water Famine, 1966

3.jpg
If you could tomorrow morning make water clean in the world, you would have done, in one fell swoop, the best thing you could have done for improving human health by improving environmental quality.

WILLIAM C. CLARK, speech, Racine, Wisconsin, April 1988

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg
7.jpg

8.bmp

8.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvrauCqj86g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pgdchkPo60
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp3eooTJkY4

These are films about environmental sustainability.

Continue reading "blog prompt #3" »

Blog prompt#2 social design issue

I've been minnesota for one month. when I first arrvied here, what I felt is that it's freaking freezing weather. Even though I've already known Minnesota is one of the coldest cities in the USA, I couldn't imagine how cold it is until I felt firsthand. It has made me stay in my home. but one cold day, I went to downtown minneapolis. There, what I was imppressed is the skyway connecting each architectures on downtown.
Minneapolis_Downtown_in_Winter.jpg
Thanks to this skyway, I could go around downtown, go shopping, eat lunch, somthing like that. I think that's social design. I am not sure I do understand what social design means. but In my opinion, social design means somthing designed for society. Skyway has both; social and design. I think it play a big role. It doesnt't exist only for design but also fuction that make buildings accessible.
390px-Minneapolis-downtown-2007.jpg

when I first saw it, I was suprised. they look really good. I felt like the downtown looked very well-balanced and stable. Comparing to chicago (I was in chicago downtown for 7months to study english),I think minneapolis is more fabulous.
Skyway2large.jpg

minnesota is too chilly city to be active for people. However, skyway could make people be active by protecting them from that cold weather. It is very important.

I believe that skyway in minneapolis downtown is a good example of design.

Continue reading "Blog prompt#2 social design issue" »