Final Refelction

Over all I would have to say that I really have had a good experience in this class. To be perfectly honest, I thought this was just another class that I would just try go through without picking up any major thought provoking ideas. I was completely intrigued by the idea of the tipping point. I believe that was my favorite. I learned a lot of interesting idea in that discussion and it is something that I have taken into my life. I also like doing the research on the leaders from the past and learning about their leadership theories. I really do think that I would have learned a lot more if there was more discussion in class about what those theories really mean. I truly did not understand all of the theories in depth as much as I would have liked to. I also think there should be at lease one current leader that we can talk about. Sometimes "history" gets a little boring. I think the fish market thing was something I did not enjoy as much. I thought it was very weird how the story was fake and I for some reason just did not like that motivational methods taught by the creative Mary Jane was very stimulating to the mind. Emotional intelligence was something I had never really heard of before and I was really glad that I was able to learn so many ways that I can take into the future in my work. Overall, I think class was very enjoyable and I learned a lot.

Posted by at 12:07 AM

In a Rut

Have you been in a rut like Mary Jane (or Hem and Haw)? What strategies do
you use or could you use to be more creative, be more adaptable to change,
and improve your overall attitude and outlook?

I can totally relate with Mary Jane being in a rut. I am very active in my Hindu temple. I am the youth coordinator. We have weekly gathering where we discuss culture religion and other traditional values. However some of the topics become dull through reading or lectures. What I try to do most of the time is something that professors or teachers do. I will gather discussion questions and current events that can relate to the topic at hand. Also something creative that I have done is to bring speakers that will talk about college related materials, or career related issues. I think this has brought much recurrent attendance every week, which was problem in the beginning. I think the new ideas have brought motivation to the youths to be proactive to take on responsibilities. I think giving a new event or activity for people to look forward to every week. It helps them get motivated to learn about things that may seem menotnous.

Posted by at 10:59 PM

Something that has tipped.

In relation to my blog about what I thought about the tipping point book, I believe that the epidemic of tobacco chewing young kids has tipped in India. Tobacco companies are highly responsible for this tipping point due to their strategic advertising. From my research, 54% of the kids in the southern Indian state, Karala, are addicted to chewing tobacco. The parts of India are starting to experience the same trend. Largely, this has to do with the advertising. At this point there are no bars held on the advertising. Small packets of chewing tobacco have skimpily dressed bollywood actresses to help advertise young kids between the ages of 12-15. Public sponsorships are also endorsed by tobacco companies, which are sometimes targeted towards events that involve kids. The epidemic is getting to the tipping point. The tipping point’s law of the few inspired me and as I mentioned in the previous blog I believe I can make a difference in this massive tipping point.

Posted by at 7:39 PM

Tipping Point Book

Talk about the Tipping Point - anything you'd like to mention, e.g., something that inspired you or made you think or worried you.

I like the Tipping Point book very much. I thought it had all the right ingredients that a book should have. It was very interesting, it was relative to the class, and it was very informative. I think the best thing about the book was the Law of the Few in the Power of Context Chapter. I was really amazed at the story about the New York crimes. I was unaware of this project that went on and I that was definitely something inspiring to me. I believe there are many people in he world just like me that sometimes believe that there is nothing that they can do or believe that one person or one act is way too small to make a difference. From reading this story I was very much motivated to follow up on an epidemic that I thought was uncontrollable by me. I did a presentation in another rhetoric class in which I talked about the epidemic of chewing tobacco in youths in India. At first I took the information and just thought that it was a shame that majority for the kids in middle schools are addicts of chewing tobacco and did not really think that I could do anything about. After reading the inspiring story I have a made arrangements to go to India during the summer through UROP (University Research Opportunities Program) to do research on the economic effects on this fast moving and dangerous epidemic. By doing this research I hope to help gain more awareness in throughout India and rest of the world and hopefully help India rid of this epidemic through providing education to youths of the dangers of this nasty habits.
I truly believe that this probably one of the most important book that I have read in my time at this university and it is a shame that more classes aren't providing resources that are this educational. It was certainly a motivating factor for me and have recommended it to many peers of mine.

Posted by at 8:08 PM

Teach the Class

After the “Teach the Class? Presentation, what are you discovering about yourself in the group process (e.g., roles, communication process, social competencies, motivation level, strengths, weaknesses, attitudes, critiques of others, regrets) and, based on what you discovered, what will you do differently in future team projects?

I discovered quite a few things from paying attention to my role in the group during "teach the class assignment. I found myself to be shifting roles quite often. I came into the project thinking I have to be the leader as I always do. At first I did try taking the leader role but a greater enforcer with better knowledge ended up taking the role, which led me ease up a whole lot on the group. I am sometimes hard on a group if things aren't accomplished on time and don't fit the assignment. I was really glad someone took over the leadership role because in this project we had a lot of that. I really enjoyed just getting my portion of the project done and sending it to the leader who put it all together.
I have always felt that I had tough time with communicating with group members but what I noticed is that I was the one always trying to reach my group member to see where things are and get an update. I found that not too many people responded to my emails and requests. From this I learned that I am better communicator than I thought I was in comparison with my group members. It felt as if I was the leader again because of my constant need to make sure things are going to happen as we planned and hence this is the reason why I say that I found my self shifting roles often.
I think the most important thing I learned is that even when i am not the designated leader in the group, I keep the mentality of how I believe the group should be lead or expect the way i believe it should be lead. This is something I look forward to in the future to resolve and learn to accept the tasks of my role and try to let things that I am not responsible work itself out.

Posted by at 5:12 PM