Emotional Intelligence Conclusion

I believe that emotional intelligence is knowlegde that can not be fed to someone with books or teachings. It has to be recognized and learned through one's self and experiences. Having emotional intelligence is being a different type of smart. No matter what your grade point average is or your ranking status at work, it does not mean that you internally have a good level of emotional intelligence. I don't think emotional intelligence means, "being nice" or "let it all hang out" emotionally, but rather an intuition of managing feelings so that they are expressed appropriately and effectively which will ulimately lessen the friction in social and corporate relations.

As i read thourgh goleman's emotional intelligence these concepts of intelligence were very easy for me to understand. I believe that Goleman had a very up front approach to the subject which he reflected in his straight forward writing. Overall the book really opened my eyes to the effects of emotional intelligence on individual's, group's, organization's, and corporation's overall success. Having these compacities allows us to survive life with our humanity and sanity intact no matter what the situation. As i remember how our class struggled to define emotional intelligence I think that Goleman said it perfect, "emotional intelligence is the capacity for recognizing our own feelings and those of others, for motivating ourselves, and for managing emotions well in ourselves and in our relationships."

Posted by at October 31, 2005 11:00 PM