We had a great turnout for our first meeting back in September and hope you can join us on Thursday, October 9 as we continue to explore Plan B 3.0 by Lester R. Brown. Chapter 2 "Deteriorating Oil and Food Security" and Chapter 3 "Rising Temperatures and Rising Seas" are the readings for this month. After a short summary of the chapters UMM Biology professor Pete Wyckoff will offer his informed perspective on climate change, both globally and locally. An informal discussion will follow as we probe the topics of climate change, peak oil and food security.
To read Chapters 2 & 3 please go to Plan B 3.0. As always, food and refreshments start at 6:30 p.m. with discussion beginning at 7:00 p.m.
Questions to ponder for this month:
- How does increased usage of food products such as corn for ethanol affect the world food supply?
- If using food crops for energy increases hunger is this morally responsible?
- What affect will the coming scarcity of oil have on our petroleum-based civilization?
- Do you agree that oil is about to peak or do you think this is just another unfounded dire warning?
- What are the affects of climate change on ecosystems and human beings?
- What do you think of the author's plan to cut carbon dioxide emissions? Is it too radical? Should governments mandate action?