« Joyful Tears | Main | Best Bias »

Star Retread

I went to see Star Trek opening night a few weeks ago at a multiplex an hour away. From the opening scene to the closing credits I was enthralled. The Enterprise has never looked better. The special effects have never been more spectacular. All the actors chosen to play the famous original crew are perfectly cast, young doppelgangers through and through. Pacing is swift with just the right amount of dialogue. Humor is fresh and lively. And did I mention Leonard Nimoy making a final curtain call as Spock? Simply poignant. So you can imaging my surprise driving home when I was overcome with a feeling of disappointment, a let-down that only became more pronounced as I made my way down the dark highway.

Been there. Done that. For all the great casting and special effects the undeniable truth remains; there's nothing new under the sun or in the galaxy to be found in Star Trek. There's time travel. Unlikely as always. Check. Please see Voyage Home and First Contact. There's a nasty villian bent on revenge. Check. See The Wrath of Khan and Nemesis. Nero goes around blowing up planets with an eerie looking drill. Near the film's climax he attempts to destroy the Earth. Evidently the planet has no defenses for it's just the Enterprise that intervenes made of a crew of recently graduated cadets. Plot hole. Check. See all other Star Trek movies.

What there isn't much of is a story. It's almost as if the narrative simply exists to give the young crew of the Enterprise something to do as they get to know eachother and we them. Trouble is, we already know them, and after Star Trek there won't be any remaining mystery to unravel.

There was an episode from The Next Generation featuring the Enterprise crew as children. It was a fun gimmick for one show, but I wouldn't try and build a series around it. Sadly, that is what the new movie does all too successfully. It regurgitates with exquisite detail the beloved characters from the 1960s and pumps them up with up with 21st Century CGI as well as overused plot devices. An argument could be made that each successive generation of Star Trek is simply a slightly new version of the original, incorporating all the basic elements in a new wrapper. Spock=Data=Odo=7of9. With the new movie, however, any notion of a new wrinkle or appearance is discarded in favor of blatant nostalgia. U2 had a song from the early 1990s titled Even Better Than the Real Thing. That's what Abrams' film is, and it is both its success and ultimate failure. In the absence of any new idea or Roddenberry philosophical dilemma we get slickness and action. Lots of it. The cast is good. Maybe a little too good. If you're like me you won't realize what you've missed until later, if at all.

Star Trek boldly goes, alright, but it goes we've already gone before. At the end of the picture as the lights came up and the credits rolled the audience members began to applaud spontaneously. I think I've only been in a theatre once or twice when that has happened. When I was a boy of twelve I went to see Star Wars. The audience, including my cousin and I, applauded with abandon, mesmerized by what we had just seen, even transformed. Never for a moment did I think of clapping for Star Trek. Now I know why.

With all that said will I see it again when it comes to my local theatre? You betcha. Will I buy the DVD when it comes out, hopefully with lots of extras? Without a doubt. Will I enjoy every minute of it despite my reservations? Damn right I will! Will I still pine for an original cinematic idea instead of sequel after sequel after sequel. Of course.

Sure it wasn't all new, and they didn't boldly go where any other Star Trek's have gone before, but it was entertaining and refreshing to me. To Kirk and Spock meet for the first time and to keep the nostalgia of the original series was perfect for me. All I liked about the original series I love in this prequill. There doesn't have to be a "but". A 1000 things doen right and only about 3 things done wrong. Not many movies are this good.