Denial, Denial, Denial

Watching this report by Frontline I realized a few things. First of all the digital world has expanded an amazing amount in a small amount of time. Also kids these days spend a ridiculous amount of time on all things digital. Lastly my generation is in denial of this. Although this new digital world definitely has its benefits and people can connect and learn all sorts of things that they would never have been to before. This report does a good job of addressing both the positive and negative effects of the "digital nation". I think its a good work of broadcast journalism. It does a very in-depth report of the digital world and highlights very important points, as well as getting good information from good sources. I also think it does a pretty good job representing my generation. Although not all kids in my generation are addicted to digital things, there are a good percentage that have adapted and showed that digital media is a high priority of my generation. This also brings out the point that my generation thinks its completely normal to be so involved with the digital world and I believe is in denial of their use. This is highlighted by a quote from the report. "I think it takes people a while for reality to hit them in the face," said Dr. Gary Small from UCLA.
I also think that people need to look more into their use of digital media. I don't think that technology is bad or that it should slow down, but I think that the way and time that people use digital media should be more closely evaluated. I am very much on the border when it comes to technology and media. On one hand the use of technology is exciting and can make things easier and progress culture. But on the other hand are the old ways that bad? And what will we lose if we continue to go in the direction that we are going in. Does it make people less communicative with each other in person?

A Dose of Reality, a Bid to Restore Magic

I chose to compare a story by Peter Baker of the New York times and a story by Johanna Neuman of the LA Times. Both articles are very different. They both have very different leads and even cover different aspects of the State of the Union address. The content is very different in a few ways.
The way that they are different is that the content of both is not the same and take an angle about the address that is different than the other. I didn't chose articles that really summed up the speech even though both used quotes from the president.
Also The quotes that they use are very different and that is to be expected because they are going for a different angle and therefore use different quotes for their purposes.
I think that the New York times article is a better analysis type, but the LA Times is more fun and a lighter article.
Both articles are well written and both the articles are relevant and use good quotes and leads for their articles.

Team USA takes on Canada, the hockey team (and nation)

According to the Star Tribune....VANCOUVER - The players donning the red, white and blue sweaters already got a taste -- a very small taste -- of what's in store for them Sunday when they step onto enemy ice and play Canada on its home turf in front of its home fans.

I like this lead, but I don't believe it is very effective. The reason for this is because although this lead is catchy and may spark your interest it doesn't really explain what it is you're going to be reading about. You know it's going to be about Canada and the U.S. and them maybe playing against each other, but you don't really catch the gist of the story.

According to the Star Tribune....WHISTLER, British Columbia - Bode Miller finally won his elusive gold medal, using a blistering slalom run Sunday to complete one of the most unlikely Olympic comebacks ever.

I like this lead and believe it is a good lead because it is short and sweet. For most Olympic stories you want the facts right away, and the reporters to say what happened and what was the most important thing right away. This lead does that by stating what happened and the most important part.

An article by the Associated Press in Washington reported that after being interviewed about the war in Iraq, Vice President Joe Biden said that "I am very optimistic about Iraq. I mean, this could be one of the great achievements of this administration." This was criticized by former Vice President Dick Cheney who said that the credit for the war should be given to the Bush administration. He said that while the Obama administration can take credit for what they have accomplished while there in this presidency, they must also give credit for the earlier achievements of the the Bush administration. It also talks about how both Obama and Biden opposed the war and Cheney commented on that saying that if they had their way the situation would have been quite different.

The news values for this story include conflict between the former and current vice presidents. It also includes novelty as this conflict hasn't come up before this time. Then there is impact because the war in Iraq has affected a lot of lives and a lot has changed in the country and around the world because of the war in Iraq.

St. Paul police identify man fatally shot, allegedly by his son

The Star Tribune reported Sunday that a man in St. Paul who had been shot to death was identified and his son was arrested for his murder. The man was shot several times and a little while after the shooting the son was arrested not far from the duplex where the man, who was identified as Anthony Gaither, was found. The shooting occurred Saturday and the man was found at 1:30 p.m. The son was suspected as according to the police report there had been an argument between the son and father and the son somehow obtained a gun. Neighbors heard the shots but didn't think it was from their neighborhood.

The news values include immediacy as the shooting happened just yesterday. It also has relevance as the shooting didn't happen far away and was in the Twin Cities. It also has conflict that is shown between the son and the father.

Drunken man steals ambulance with patient inside

The Associated Press reported Tuesday that a drunken man stole an ambulance from a Wisconsin ski area with a patient inside.

The Star Tribune reported Sunday that the President Obama has asked GOP leaders to come together with democratic leaders to try to find a solution to the health care problem in a televised talk. Experts say he is doing this because he is not only trying to revive the health care issue after his loss of another Democratic seat in the Senate, but also to address the issues raised by Republicans. That issue is that the talks about health care were secretive and partisan.

This article shows immediacy as this talk will come later this month. It also shows prominence because the health care issue has been a major factor in the U.S. for the last few months. It also shows the conflict between Republicans and Democrats over the health care issue. There is also impact because the bill that they want to pass in the Senate would affect a lot of Americans.

HR and Facebook: It's complicated

The Star Tribune had a report Sunday about the use of Facebook and other social networking sites as a screening process for future employees. It is widely known that employers now use these sites as a sort of test to see what people that are thinking of hiring. But now lawyers are saying that this could become illegal due to discrimination and other factors that would prevent employers from hiring someone.

The news values that this article uses include novelty as I haven't seen anyone else do on a story on this particular subject. Also impact because it affects a lot of people from employers to people trying to get hired, especially in this economy.

Recent Comments

• bergr027: I agree that watching this documentary film made me realize read more
  • joh03884: I agree that it isn't affective, but I don't think read more
  • Minelli-news blog: In this lead, I found the very first sentence to read more
  • giamp004: I agree, I do think this lead is kind of read more