Denial, Denial, Denial

Watching this report by Frontline I realized a few things. First of all the digital world has expanded an amazing amount in a small amount of time. Also kids these days spend a ridiculous amount of time on all things digital. Lastly my generation is in denial of this. Although this new digital world definitely has its benefits and people can connect and learn all sorts of things that they would never have been to before. This report does a good job of addressing both the positive and negative effects of the "digital nation". I think its a good work of broadcast journalism. It does a very in-depth report of the digital world and highlights very important points, as well as getting good information from good sources. I also think it does a pretty good job representing my generation. Although not all kids in my generation are addicted to digital things, there are a good percentage that have adapted and showed that digital media is a high priority of my generation. This also brings out the point that my generation thinks its completely normal to be so involved with the digital world and I believe is in denial of their use. This is highlighted by a quote from the report. "I think it takes people a while for reality to hit them in the face," said Dr. Gary Small from UCLA.
I also think that people need to look more into their use of digital media. I don't think that technology is bad or that it should slow down, but I think that the way and time that people use digital media should be more closely evaluated. I am very much on the border when it comes to technology and media. On one hand the use of technology is exciting and can make things easier and progress culture. But on the other hand are the old ways that bad? And what will we lose if we continue to go in the direction that we are going in. Does it make people less communicative with each other in person?

I agree that watching this documentary film made me realize how quickly our digital media has expanded over the last decade. It's hard to imagine our world without wireless internet, high-definition televisions, and digital cameras. It also doesn't go without notice that because of our advancements in technology, kids do spend more time with hand-held tech games than running around outside. I don't necessarily agree that our generation is in denial, however. We've grown up with technology, we've been surrounded by growing technology since the day we were born. I don't think we can be in denial of our settings if they've been our surroundings all along, it's just simply what we're use to. We're use to searching Google for a quiz answer as opposed to looking through pages and pages of an encyclopedia.

I also agree that even though we are digitally acclimated, taking a look at how often we're using technology for entertainment instead of being social or active is necessary. I think maintaining personal relationships outside of e-mailing and texting is just as important. I think playing outside at the park with your kids is just as important as watching a movie with them. I think balancing technology and simple entertainment/uses is important to all generations, so that, like you said, people don't become completely out-of-touch with those people around them.

This page contains a single entry by peake012 published on March 18, 2010 1:28 PM.

A Dose of Reality, a Bid to Restore Magic was the previous entry in this blog.