An Expert's Perspective on Youth Politics in Mexico Today vs. The 60's

Citia Velazquez Marroni works at the University Cultural Center based at Tlatelolco. Among other things, she provides guided visits to "The '68 Memorial" exhibit.

Tlatelolco or "The Plaza of the Three Cultures" is where an unknown number of people died when hundreds of police were sent in to disrupt a protest and arrest the student leaders. The government claims 30 protestors died, while most estimates are between 200-300. As many as 1000 protestors, mostly students, were arrested. For an excellent virtual tour, go to the Cultural Center's website and click on the video above "Recorrido virtual."

Tanks at Tlatelolco

Given her knowledge of the movement of the late 60's and early 70's, plus the fact that she is a university student herself, Cintia is an excellent person to turn to in order to understand comparative changes in youth politics and popular culture. As you'll remember, that is the main question explored near the end of both articles, especially Podalski's. Cintia has keen comparative insights that will add a great deal to our understanding of youth culture in Mexico and the relationship between popular culture and politics.

This will be the first of a few posts based on the interview with Cintia. I will post a short video here where she argues that while there has been some "depoliticization," it is more a matter of how young people enact politics today. Below the video is a quick translation (Remember, I am using an iPhone for video, so be kind):

New Project 1 - Medium.m4v

Transcript:

"I think that, yes, there has been some depoliticization to a certain point, but what has mainly changed is the way of doing politics. The youth of the 60's--I am not sure about other parts of the world, but here in Mexico--I get the impression from today's vantage point and as a young person, that they were very boxed in. They believed in ideologies that were very strict concerning what communism is, what capitalism is. They would read political books like they were Bibles. Suddenly there was a seriousness that was, I would say, sometimes exaggerated. You had to be a revolutionary, you had to listen to protest music. Rock was the music of the capitalists, it was superfluous. You had to sing music that was purely Latin American."

This page contains a single entry by Mark Pedelty published on March 9, 2010 5:31 PM.

Videos from Days One and Two and Current Thoughts on Method was the previous entry in this blog.

Cintia Part II: exhausted ideologies, the internet, and the search for a "third way." is the next entry in this blog.