« The state of newspapers | Main | A rise in the dollar means a drop overseas »

Follow-up on "Growing Up Online."

Prior to the midterm, I watched the remainder of the Frontline documentary "Growing Up Online" to see if there was anything interesting to note before the exam. Although I was watching it with a purpose to immerse myself with the knowledge necessary to score well, I found one segment peculiar.

Cyber-bullying is still new, but the segment I watched mirrored another case of suicide caused by cyber-bullying in the news, where a 13-year-old girl hanged herself after someone else's mother played a cruel joke on her. In many ways, I believe this form is more dangerous because if the perpetrators can cover their tracks, it can be very difficult to stop (people can simply switch screen names or use the screen name of another person on their buddy list to evade detection).

The documentary also touched on school fights and other forms of bullying uploaded to YouTube. Unfortunately (due to their own negligence), those responsible are sometimes arrested and charged with assault as they essentially upload evidence of their own actions; as was the case in Florida where several girls participated in attacking another teenage girl.

I'm aware that cyber-bullying gets media coverage here and there, but the topic itself could make a solid episode of Frontline, because unlike sexual predators who try (and usually don't succeed) luring children, bullies may be harder to ignore because teens are generally dealing with peers and won't see them the same way as total strangers.