« Analysis: Structure | Main | Seat Belt Crackdown »

Palin Abused Power

An Alaska legislative panel has found that Governor Sarah Palin abused her powers in trying to have her former brother-in-law fired as a state trooper, according to MPR.

The bi-partisan panel found that Gov. Palin was in violation of of a state ethics law that prohibits public officials from using their office for personal gain.

The inquiry came after the dismissal of Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan. Monegan says he lost his job because he resisted pressure to fire a state trooper involved in a bitter divorce and custody battle with the governors sister.

Palin says that Monegan was fired because of a budget dispute.

The report found that Palin let the family grudge influence her decision-making.

“I’m thankful that the report has shown that there was no illegal or unethical activity there in my choice to replace our commissioner,?Palin said. “A partisan kind of process that had been undertaken by some of the legislators who haven’t been real happy with anything that I’ve done along the way as governor, that process is now over, with that finding that I haven’t done anything unlawful in replacing the commissioner.? [ New York Times ]