UDS and Problems with Surveys

My sophomore year I worked as a University Dining Service marketing intern. One of our primary objectives as interns was to conduct primary research in the form of surveys at many of the sporting events such as Football and Basketball. These surveys asked respondents there feeling towards the food, the facility and the service that they received. The surveys were generally around 10 questions long and was rated on a 1 to 7 scale, 7 being the most satisfied.

As an intern I saw a lot of problems with these surveys. The response rate was definitely a big one because people just wanted to get back to their seats and didn't want to miss any of the game. Additionally some people would skip out early leaving several unanswered questions.

Another problem was the timing of the survey. Sometimes the surveys were being asked before the person even took a bite into their food. A believe a much better way to do this survey would be to conduct the surveys after the person had clearly consumed the food and had time to process his or her interaction with the food and staff.