A Fond Farewell to Lincoln

Well Lincoln students, it has been a blast learning about your community about your school and surrounding neighborhood. Getting to know a few of you as well as listening to the problems that you see in your community or just being a student in general. I have grown as a student over the past semester and I hope that you all have as well. I wish you all the best of luck in your education and your lives. Take care and don't take "no" as an answer.

Posted by at 2:45 PM

Thanksgiving Break

Hey again! I had an awesome thanksgiving. I got t he chance to hang out with some of my high school friends who I hadn’t seen in months. That was really nice, but it got a little bit overwhelming because I had to listen to how everyone’s first couple months at college went. Thanksgiving dinner was incredible because I got the chance to see my relatives and just relax and not worry about the stresses of school. I sat around and watched football with my cousins and uncles, and had two thanksgiving dinners in one day. It was nice to get home for a few days but it was also nice to come back to the U because this is my new home for the next four years and it is just comforting to be back. I had fun seeing my high school friends for a few days but I was looking forward to getting to see my new friends as well. Thanksgiving break was a blast but it was just as nice to come back to school and get on with the semester.

Posted by at 2:42 PM

Last weekend

Hey students of lincoln! How's it going? I had a wonderful weekend. I spent a lot of time with my friends and watched a few movies. I went to the gopher football game on saturday and that was a lot of fun because we won. Have any of you eve been to a gopher game? I had an activity called a ritual in my fraternity and it was a great experience because I got to learn more about the house and the hitory of my fraternity. After the football game on saturday, I went out to Eagan to a friends house where me and some of my friends hung out for the night. It was pretty nice to get off campus for a night becuase we got a nice home cooked meal. I hope that you kids are having a great time this school year and I hope that you feel comfortable asking me any questions about myself, school, or any situation that you are facing in school. Keep in touch and I'll talk to you soon.

Posted by at 2:53 PM

How to be a better student...

Some of the things that may help you to be better students would be to pay more attention to deatil in class. If you teacher is talking about something, maybe you could take notes about it so that you can go abck and look at the notes later. Obviously, studying is incredibly important to be a successful student. You should try to study for at least and hour every night, but don't limit yourself to that. If you have a lot of work to do for the next day, don't work really fast just to get the work done in an hour so that you can go watch TV. What you learn in 8th grade is jsut preparing you for high school and it is all very important. The amount of homework increases a lot when you get into high school and doing all of your homework is a great habit ot get in to. I know that sometimes the amoutn of work can seem overwhelming, but don't forget to have fun while you're at it. Life isn't all work and no play. You have to find a way to balance your school work with your social life and be able to succeed in both. Never place one above the other because you will miss out on the experince of your childhood. Have a blast being your age and enjoy it, but at the same time you have to realize that being successful in school with allow you to ahve even more fun when you're an adult.

Posted by at 3:03 PM

College Life...

College was always something that I wanted to experience, and I spent a lot of time thinking about what it would be like. Now that I'm here, I absolutely love it. It is definately a lot more work than high school, but its a lot more fun as well. I have class every day but its only for a few hours each day. My earliest class starts at 9:05 am and that really isn't that early at all. I'd always wanted to be in a fraternity becuase my dad was in one, and now that I'm in one, I am getting to experience a lot of new things. Being in a fraternity is awesmome because it gives you that chance to live with about 40 other friends and almost have a home away from home. The guys that I live with are going to be the friends i have for the rest of my life and that's amazing to know that when I'm ony 18. There are so many more things that I am looking forward to experiencing while im here but I'm only a freshman and i have plenty of time. The next 4 years of my life are going to be amazing and I am looking forward to growing as a person and becoming the man I want to be for the rest of my life.

Posted by at 2:57 PM

Hello Lincoln Student(s)

Hey there! My name is Mike and I'm going to tell you a little about myself;

1. I am a freshman at the University of Minnesota and I am really excited about starting this new experience here. I have class 5 days a week but my earliest class starts at 9:00 am, so its not really all that bad.

2. I was raised in Eden Praire, MN. I played football and hockey there and it was an extremely fun time. My graduating class was almost 800 students and i only knew about half of them.

3. I have two older sisters (22 and 20) and they are very nice women. One of them is a student at the Univerity with me and another is a student at the University of Wisconsin, Madison.

Here's a few questions for you...;

1. Describe your childhood growing up in North Minneapolis

2. Do you enjoy going to school at Lincoln Elementary? why?

3. If there was one thing you could do... anything at all... what would it be?

If you would like to learn more about me, you can look at one of my other blog posts at the bottom of the page, it tells more about my past and what I want to do with my life.

I am really looking forward to getting to know all of you! Hopefully I'll see you soon.

Posted by at 3:06 PM

Last Week Sucked

I'm pretty sure that last weekw as my first real experience of how much work it is to be in college. I had to study for at least 3 hours a day for a test that was a week away. I never studied in highschool until the night before the test, and it always worked out well for me. I'm pretty sure that if i had studied for a week prior to my tests in highschool I would have done A LOT better. I did really well on the test i studied for and it was a really rewarding experience. I also had to do and essay portion of a test in one night, but that turned out good too. I studied harder than I had in years and it just felt really good to know that i got something done. I hope that i can amnage to stay on track and keep up the pattern of working so hard because it will all pay off over time. I haven't started my first draft yet for basic writing but I'm just going to write it all tonight. I know that doesn't seem like I'm sticking ot what i had planned, but I write better under pressure.

Posted by at 12:41 PM

Lincoln and Me

One of the differences I noticed between Lincoln Elementary and Eden Prairie schools is the surrounding community and their support or the school district. Lincoln school district is in a very poor area of North Minneapolis and the community and overrun with crime and poverty. The city is divided into sections by race and wealth, which commonly go hand in hand. The community in Noth Minneapolis has become accustomed to the crime, drug delaing, and various illegal activities that infest the streets. There are people in the community who want to help out and make a change but they are threatened and no longer want to stick their necks out again. In Eden Prairie, the people are all extremely nice and there is not fear of crime of drugs on any street there. Everyone seems to have a sense of pirde in our city , and don't want that tarnished.
I feel that the people of North Minneapolis have always been surrounded by hardship and poverty, so they consider that the norm. Children raised on welfare and food stamps may grow up with the understanding that they can do that same thing when they grow up. These situations on hurt the community that they're in becuase they aren't out working and bringing money into the community. If a kid sees some wealthy older person frim their cimmunity, they assume that they're a drug dealer. The youth only see drug dealing as a way to make money and live a fulfiling life. There aren't enough possitive role models in the community who are there to set examples for the children. These kids end up hurting their community and themselves by bringing drugs into the community even more.

Posted by at 3:14 PM

To Blog or Not to Blog

Well i dont know how everyone else feels but I am really excited for this first paper to be over. I'm looking forward to getting to work with the kids at Loncoln Elementary and looking into their situation a little bit deeper. I think that writing a paper like this is somthing that will open up our eyes to situations that people are facing just a couple miles away from us. When we see people struggling, we sometimes dont feel as connected to them but when the problem is as close as Lincoln Elementary, we feel an obligation to help. This next section should be a lot of fun and very fulfilling for the majority of our class. This next paper should be much more fun to write becuase of the topic and the more formal structure of the paper. So far, this class has been a pretty good time and i don't have any complaints at all.

Posted by at 8:42 PM

Sherman Alexie & LaRhonda Johnson

Both of these people were raised in a family that was not very waelthy at all. They were both actually living close to, if not below, the poverty line. They are both minortities, LaRhonda being black and Sherman was Native American. They both were raised with a thirst for knowledge and performed very well in school. Sherman's father would bring home books for him to read and LaRhonda would do very well in school as well. Sherman was raised on a reservation and the expectations for the native americans was not very high. They were expected to be unintellegent, and many of the children took advantage of that. They felt as if they could just slide by and not have to do anty work. When the students realized that Sherman could read, write, and did very well in school, they harassed him and treated him poorly. LaRhonda faced similar scrutiny in her situation as well. She was a good student until she realized that she enjoyed getting "respect" more that performing well in class. She decided that she would skip class and get into fights because people would respect her and look up to her for that. She eventually realized that she wanted more than that and decided to go help out with young children and she found a calling for herself. She wanted to become a teacher because she discovered a passion for working with young children. Both of these people faced hardships in their lives, and they both had different ways of dealing with them. Comparing these two stories gives weight to the arguement that people are products of their environment.

Posted by at 3:01 PM