« The Nitty-Gritty Details | Main | Something funky's going down... »

Karma and Wooly Mammoths

What’s there to say about what I know (which is little) of Timothy Treadwell? That guy was crazy. I seriously question what was going through the guy’s head. It’s sad that he died, definitely. I guess he probably wouldn’t have had it any other way though. What did he accomplish living with the bears? I guess he spent a lot of his time in Alaska, which in my mind basically makes him Canadian so that might explain some things. Surely I jest.

This blog is not going to go anywhere profound or whatever, and I don’t want to criticize the guy. To each, their own. It’s not my place to judge, but I wouldn’t mind knowing more about the guy. He certainly doesn’t seem normal. The way he goes to the high pitched voice when talking to bears and calling himself a kind warrior (or something like that) just seems a little unnatural to me, and I do wonder who he was catering to. He seems like a strange, nature-loving, nice guy, which is kind of creepy to be honest. The documentary shows a lot of him talking about protecting the bears, but what action did he take after making the videos and using the Alaskan wilderness as his humble abode for a couple months every year? I guess I just want to know more about what his slant was, what his general feelings on environmentalism were.

Or maybe, i guess if it wasn't the practically being in canada part that made him a little strange, well I’m sure karma has screwed up before. In the millions of years that life has been here on earth there must have been a few mistakes with the inter-species changing thing. Just an idea!

I think it’s a cool movie. The footage of the bears is pretty neat. And the foxes were awesome. It’s cool how they just sat on the tent and followed him around. The concept behind the film is also really intriguing. It shows Treadwell in two different lights, which is what makes it interesting to me. It raises lots of questions and moral issues. Really, I don’t think it’s anybody’s place to judge this guy. He died because he loved the animals and how can anybody bash that? From what I’ve seen thus far, he didn’t cause the bears to go berserk and rampage towns and tents in search of people to eat. I haven’t heard about any bad, lasting effects he’s had on the bears’ tempers or acclimation to humans. How did people live when we didn’t have cement and houses and trucks and didn’t have the concept of tools? We had to live in nature with all the bears and the tigers and the wooly mammoths and all those other deadly animals. And guess what? We managed! If you criticize this guy (living with the wild) you’re criticizing the origins of man/woman.

Timothy Treadwell article

I would like if the film gave more about who he was also. Half of the film is of his trying to touch bears, but certainly there is something that in motivating him, and it should really focus more on what he was doing in the classrooms and with his organizations to give his actions more credibility. That way he wouldn't be just some bear-loving crazy person to people who watch it.

I agree with you, it would have been interesting to hear Timothy's mindset and views on environmentalism. I also like how you tied him to older times, where his way of living wasn't nessasarily so bizzare, it was the way of life. Or your Canadian explaination could work too...

He may have his personal motivation in protecting the bears and doing it all.

Also, he may have grown up to a different thinking also which made him do it. But you are right, we couldn't judge him with that alone. He could have a good purpose and we should be thankful that there are people like him who are well motivated to do what he did.

His self motivation was impressive.

I think I find him cool for being somehow different. Not all people would be brave enough to do what they want to do just because they are afraid of the society not to accept them.

Being positive is an important factor if you want to do things you want to do which might be a bit different to the norms. The Sedona Method is an effective way to achieve emotional wellness that will help you become more positive in life and achieve your goals.